The Gang

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadynasty going to town on a delicious moth 😁

shamoth.jpg

I hope to have some nice wax moths soon for my gongy! 👍

Good stuff! 
I just found this moth flying around my porch light, not sure of species. I tried feeding her a giant hawk moth, but the moth was about 1 1/2 times the size of her--she tried to take it but she just couldn't and I didn't want to risk the moth knocking her off her perch. I was so close to buying some wax worms at the pet store yesterday, but I'm not sure how long it would take to get them to pupate and eclose. Do you know how long it generally takes for that?

Do you know how long it generally takes for that?
I really think that depends on the age and condition of the wax worms. And to me, that's an unknown. All I do is set the pupae in a mesh cup and wait. i did that about 5 days ago and got a small wax moth last night.

My i5 ghost took it pretty much instantly. Sorry for being ZERO help! 😫

It's been a while since I have updated on the gang, and I was running into upload space issues and from here on out these will all be lower resolution, but without further ado, here are some recent pics of my ghosts!

Doc Toboggan:

DSC_01010.jpg

Ongo Gablogian:

stack2 f r.jpg

Pecan Sandy:

DSC_0997 r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to update for my own reference since I document hardly anything so I rely on my posts here to gauge elapsed time...

Kinda sad news, but my oldest ghost, Sha-Dynasty, looks to be having the 'black puke' issue (for lack of a better term). I even witnessed her when it happened. She was hanging upside down, per usual, and a huge glob of this black substance started coming out of her mouth and running down her face. She started shaking violently, which threw this bile all over her enclosure--I want to say about .2-.3mL of it. Noticing this, I hand fed (watered?) her some distilled water through a blunt-tip syringe and she drank almost .5mL. She has had flies in her enclosure for almost a week now. This was last night, and she is still alive and looking alright this morning. Fingers crossed she pulls through...shes my favorite of all my mantises :(  

How is she? I'm a bit late, but honey water is the way to go.

- MantisGirl13

Well, she is still alive and drinking lots of water. I got her to eat a BB two days ago and she ate about half of it and dropped the rest--something I've NEVER seen her do. There's been two flies just hanging out with her that she doesn't seem to care about at all. Previously, she has been regularly laying ooths, but she hasn't laid any since I've noticed this issue. I cleaned her enclosure just so I could monitor any new, what I like to call, "flingings". There is no more super dark vomit, but I did witness what looks like diarrhea. I was just watching her, she moved her abdomen to the side, and ejected some putrid clear/gray/white substance onto the wall of the enclosure. I was impressed by how little was ejected but how strong it smelled. I mean, it was really bad! There are also a bunch of clearer mystery spots on the walls of the enclosure, but nothing as dark as when I watched her puking. She seems mobile enough--I've witnessed her walking about in her enclosure and I took her out and let her crawl around a bit. Another odd thing--her shield is now getting off-colored and turning whitish. 

Thanks for inquiring and I will try to post some pictures.

The mystery spots are probably water marks from mistings. Can I see a pic of her now?

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts