The genus Phyllocrania

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uroplatusphan

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any newer information (peer reviewed, published work) on this genus. Particularly, has there been any genetic work done? Is P. illudens a subspecies of P. paradoxa/ a distinct species?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
According to GBIF and various taxonomic databases Phyllocrania contains 3 species; P. paradoxa, P. illudens and P. insignis. These list are usually compiled from the literature but minimally curated. A quick Google scholar search shows no recent in-depth taxonomic or phylogenetic revisions of the genus. In fact the only links provided for P.illudens would indicate that those authors considered it a junior synonym of P.paradoxa. 

I would be interested to know what the diagnostic characters are that delimited the species originally and then how the subsequent authors dealt with them when considering synonymy.

As a herpetologist rather than an entomologist I have to say I'm surprised at the lack of literature on this genus. I guess that's more often the case with inverts though. 

I would however caution on assuming that species from Madagascar and mainland Africa are the same based on morphological similarity. The genetic disparity between these regions tends to be high even in morphologically conserved groups. With regards to interbreeding and species boundaries, that depends on your species concept I suppose, and whether the resultant F1 generation are fertile. 

Just my thoughts based on a quick and dirty search from my phone. I'll break out the laptop later and see if i can get hold of the original species descriptions etc, just to assuage my own curiosity :D

I actually did see videos of p. Illudens on YouTube and they do seem to be at least a different subspecies (but I could be wrong) as there head crests are much longer and not as patterned as paradoxa. The leaf decorations on the body and legs are also smoother as well. Just search phyllocrania illudens

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts