the inner life of a cell- get some perspective!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxolotlsAreCoolToo

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/vTIsj_######ZI

Published on Sep 24, 2012

This is happening in side you, right now. This is the highest quality version of this on youtube.The Inner Life of a Cell animation illustrates unseen molecular mechanisms and the ones they trigger, specifically how white blood cells sense and respond to their surroundings and external stimuli. We have over 50 trillion cells in our body, more cells than there are stars in the entire galaxy.

Nuclei, proteins and lipids move with bug-like authority, slithering, gliding and twisting through 3D space. "All of those things that you see in the animation are going on in every one of your cells in your body all the time," says XVIVO lead animator John Liebler, who worked with company partners David Bolinsky, XVIVO's medical director, and Mike Astrachan, the project's production director, to blend the academic data and narrative from Harvard's faculty into a fluid visual interpretation.

"First, we couldn't have known where to begin with all of this material without significant work done by Alain Viel, Ph.D. [associate director of undergraduate research at Harvard University], who wrote and guided the focus to include the essential processes that needed to be described to complement the curriculum and sustain an interesting narrative. I've been in the medical animation field for seven years now, so I'm a little jaded, but I still get surprised by things. For instance, in the animation there's a motor protein that's sort of walking along a line, carrying this round sphere of lipids. When I started working on that section I admit I was kind of surprised to see that it really does look like it's out for a stroll, like a character in a science fiction film or animation. But based on all the data, it's a completely accurate rendering.

Credit: "HIGHVOLT MC-Eve (Intro)", sound recording administered by:
Rebeat Digital GmbH

"Adnan Oktar'ın Kral Karadeniz ve Tempo Tv'deki canlı Yayını 7 Kasım 2009 6/9", visual content administered by:
Diwan Videos

weather or not the models in the video are true or not i thought it was interesting and worth sharing :taz:

I remember seeing this long before September. Can't remember the date I first saw it though. And high powered electron microscopes have shown us that the structures shown in the video are all accurate. I learned a lot about how they work in university biology classes. Amazing that everything functions on the same energy source as well.

yeah, seen this in ap bio. The cell they depict is a white blood cell

the little walkie thing is a motot protein. Every step requires an adenosiine triphosphate(ATP), which is the energy "currency" of a cell. All this to change the cytoskeleton of the white blood cell so it can change shape and squeeze between the other cells.

I remember seeing this long before September. Can't remember the date I first saw it though. And high powered electron microscopes have shown us that the structures shown in the video are all accurate. I learned a lot about how they work in university biology classes. Amazing that everything functions on the same energy source as well.
but dont they only look at the inner cell at this level when its dead? this video is simulating a fully functional cell

My biology professor showed our class this last semester... it really is fascinating how all the different parts work together.

but dont they only look at the inner cell at this level when its dead? this video is simulating a fully functional cell
No they can see inside when its alive. Ever looked at one under a standard light microscope? You can clearly see the nucleus and nucleolus and sometimes even the endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria etc. It's very possible to see inside the cell while its alive.

No they can see inside when its alive. Ever looked at one under a standard light microscope? You can clearly see the nucleus and nucleolus and sometimes even the endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria etc. It's very possible to see inside the cell while its alive.

DNA is different because of how compact and tightly wound it is in the nucleus. Things like a mitochondria are free floating at full size inside the cytoplasm. A full DNA strand if it was just wound up would be larger than the cell itself, yet it fits comfortably inside the nucleus. Thats because the double helix structure of DNA is wound into a tighter spiral, and then wound up again, and wound some more, until its incredibly compact.

DNA is different because of how compact and tightly wound it is in the nucleus. Things like a mitochondria are free floating at full size inside the cytoplasm. A full DNA strand if it was just wound up would be larger than the cell itself, yet it fits comfortably inside the nucleus. Thats because the double helix structure of DNA is wound into a tighter spiral, and then wound up again, and wound some more, until its incredibly compact.
i mean the site is not just about DNA its taking about how biomolecules interact with the DNA which is what the video is mainly representing not so much the organelles of the cell its showing a whole new domain of complexity that they cant actually see they just make models on second hand information. like how they find "new particles" in the accelerators

i mean the site is not just about DNA its taking about how biomolecules interact with the DNA which is what the video is mainly representing not so much the organelles of the cell its showing a whole new domain of complexity that they cant actually see they just make models on second hand information. like how they find "new particles" in the accelerators
all the organelles and functions shown in that video have been seen first hand or isolated. there's next to no doubt about what happens with those elements.

Regarding the hadron collider they are just trying to prove that their current model of physics is accurate. You say they're finding new particles whereas they're merely proving that particles they already though existed actually do exist.

all the organelles and functions shown in that video have been seen first hand or isolated. there's next to no doubt about what happens with those elements.

Regarding the hadron collider they are just trying to prove that their current model of physics is accurate. You say they're finding new particles whereas they're merely proving that particles they already though existed actually do exist.
i said weather or not its true im just bring a under looked perspective. im not disagreeing with the functions of the organelles all im saying is the video was highly detailed and who knows if all those tiny details on the extreme sub nuclear level are entirely true cause I certainly dont agree with some of Western science practses. they are getting too abstract, quantum physics isnt the best model we can come up with know one really understands that kind of math. and the worst of all the Big Bang, the theory that there was only one singularity in the entire universe that sprang from nothing in a void like "space" and the entire universal evolution is result of the bomb cooling off. what is so scientific about that? what really is charge and spin and whats the source or dynamics it comes from, thats what i what to know. and what are the other singularities "blacl holes" doing here. i think western science is in some kind of a deep hole. there has to be some one eles who shares this same idea.