The Kaiju

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FeistyMcGrudle

Reaction score
Starting a thread for my three new Idolos! They arrived last Thursday. This is my first go at raising this species so I'm open to any and all advice! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0929 resize.jpg

DSC_0931 resize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a bit since my last update but here are my two remaining idolos after their first molt in my posession! Both are I3 I believe.

Gigan:

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Destoroyah:

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Cheer up! You'll find them someday!

- MantisGirl13
Yeh, thanks. Instead of just waiting on something that may take time, I placed an order for more orchids.

That will pass the time.

BBFs are popping, so it'll be easier to feed them properly... where they hunt. Not when I feed them a spike, or waxworm. 👌

But DAMN. Idolos are fine!
They are a beautiful species. My next endeavor is to try and determine gender. I've been scouring this forum and elsewhere but still am not 100%. It looks like mantidkingdom.com has some more in stock (they sell out super fast) so I am trying to figure out if I should chance purchasing another one...

I would love if someone could help me determine gender of these two. I'm leaning towards both males?

Destoroyah:

DSC_0205r.jpg

Gigan:

DSC_0162r.jpg

Males should have a smaller protrusion on the end, six segments. Females have five and no smaller protrusions - they're all basically the same length. The male antennae might be feathery too but not this early 

The idolo nymphs looks breautiful with those colors already. Think you should wait til L4 to see the genders clearly. I have 2 L3 gastricas so I have to wait 1 molt to see what they are before giving them names.

I went on vacation and was welcomed back by two freshly molted Idolos! This is a comparison from when I first got them (very close to the time of creating this thread--I2) to now (I4)!

idolocomp.jpg

Latest posts