The Launch of Atlantis: The End of an Era

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmsgameboy

Reaction score
I just watched the final space shuttle launch on NASA TV. Its sad that the shuttle program has to end so early when many of the shuttles have only seen about 1/3 of their designed life spans. Sadder still is the fact that 7,000 people are going to be out of work. Stupid politics!

Too early? The things have been in service for 30 years. While I agree it is stupid to cancel a vehicle before we have a replacement it was about the space shuttles' time to retire. The whole thing I feel is a step backwards for our space program. We now have to rely on the Russians for a ride into space which I feel is just sad and pathetic.

The Constellation program was a step in the right direction but is now cancelled. I guarantee we will probably lose our lead in space and the Chinese will be the next to the moon and maybe even Mars when it could have been us. As much as I like the shuttle program it was nothing more than a big cargo hauler that was way overpriced and cost way too much to operate. It also can only go as far as low earth orbit.

I was very excited to see the Constellation program starting up only to have it cancelled. I understand that hte majority of Americans see the space program as a waste of money. I am not sure how I feel about privatizing the space industry.

Well the reason I said it was too early is because the shuttles were designed to last for 100 missions each and most have only launched 30-some times. I totaly agree though that its a mistake to take them out of service and live us with NOTHING. Also I HATE the idea of going back to space capsules. I dont even want to get into the politics behind it all.

Well the reason I said it was too early is because the shuttles were designed to last for 100 missions each and most have only launched 30-some times. I totaly agree though that its a mistake to take them out of service and live us with NOTHING. Also I HATE the idea of going back to space capsules. I dont even want to get into the politics behind it all.
Capsules are a great idea. Maybe not so much when it comes to hauling cargo, but for manned flight they are better. If there is a problem during launch with a shuttle there isn't much you can really do. A capsule on the other hand can launch off of the rocket stack. A capsule can also get you outside low Earth orbit. The new program was also supposed to have a cargo hauling capability that was unmanned. They were headed in the right direction until cancellation.

While its true space capsules may be safer and possibly cheaper you cant haul payloads meaning that any kind of cargo has to go up on its own rocket. You also cant do space walks from a capsule so that means that from now on we cant fix or upgrade anything we have in orbit (save for the space station.) Im kind of hoping that NASA contracts one of the budding new space travel organizations like Virgin Galactic.

While its true space capsules may be safer and possibly cheaper you cant haul payloads meaning that any kind of cargo has to go up on its own rocket. You also cant do space walks from a capsule so that means that from now on we cant fix or upgrade anything we have in orbit (save for the space station.) Im kind of hoping that NASA contracts one of the budding new space travel organizations like Virgin Galactic.
There were spacewalks during the Gemini program. If that capability was needed I am sure a capsule can be built to accomodate it. I think that a seperate rocket and system to launch cargo isn't neccesarily a bad idea. You won't need all the life support systems on board which makes things much simpler and probably cheaper. Why haul humans up if you don't need to? The shuttle was supposed to be "cheap" and reusable with a quick turn around time. It was neither in reality.

Shuttle or no shuttle, it'll be great to see humanity regain its former enthusiasm for space... And I hope we live to see it. I have this notion that space exploration is already being deemed little more than a grand dream of an earlier age. Something like flying cars, which so many people have grown up anticipating (and died without ever seeing... until no one really takes the idea seriously anymore)

Perhaps the world's too messed up to think about space, but things now certainly aren't any worse than they were during the cold war. Maybe only competition will do the trick.. in that case, hope it stays reasonably civil competition.

Shuttle or no shuttle, it'll be great to see humanity regain its former enthusiasm for space... And I hope we live to see it. I have this notion that space exploration is already being deemed little more than a grand dream of an earlier age. Something like flying cars, which so many people have grown up anticipating (and died without ever seeing... until no one really takes the idea seriously anymore)

Perhaps the world's too messed up to think about space, but things now certainly aren't any worse than they were during the cold war. Maybe only competition will do the trick.. in that case, hope it stays reasonably civil competition.
Well sadly, at least here, most people are more interested in Facebook, smart phones, and what's on TV to be bothered to be interested in other things that might really matter.

Well sadly, at least here, most people are more interested in Facebook, smart phones, and what's on TV to be bothered to be interested in other things that might really matter.
The sad thing is that almost half of Americans think that space exploration DOESNT matter. I got into a nasty "debate" with my step mom who said more or less that NASA is worthless. :(

The sad thing is that almost half of Americans think that space exploration DOESNT matter. I got into a nasty "debate" with my step mom who said more or less that NASA is worthless. :(
Yep. That attitude is quite common. People would be surprised at the amount of things in their daily lives in which space had something to do with its development. I understand with a bum economy why people don't see the need to spend money on it but there are other ways to cut back such as foreign aid.

I say tax the multi-billion dollar a year PROFIT makers of the oil industry to fund the program. I don't really get how we can be one of the most debt-ridden countries and considered to be one of the wealthiest. The country is getting more indebted, yet we can't ask for a portion of the billions of dollars in profit from the oil industry? I want my taxes reduced, but I don't make a billion. I think the US SHOULD expect more from taxes and not less when billions are made in profit. Just my opinion, but this country could be put on a more true course if it only demanded more taxes on overall profit and stopped throwing "borrowed" money (which we can't afford) to support other countries "in need". When was the last time this country had a national surplus, rather than national debt? BS BS BS
angry.gif

I think the best answer is the Fair Tax Plan. See www.fairtax.org for more information.

I say tax the multi-billion dollar a year PROFIT makers of the oil industry to fund the program. I don't really get how we can be one of the most debt-ridden countries and considered to be one of the wealthiest. The country is getting more indebted, yet we can't ask for a portion of the billions of dollars in profit from the oil industry? I want my taxes reduced, but I don't make a billion. I think the US SHOULD expect more from taxes and not less when billions are made in profit. Just my opinion, but this country could be put on a more true course if it only demanded more taxes on overall profit and stopped throwing "borrowed" money (which we can't afford) to support other countries "in need". When was the last time this country had a national surplus, rather than national debt? BS BS BS
angry.gif
The last year in which a budget surplus, $23 billion, was claimed was as recently as 2000 during Clinton's last year in office. However, higher finance is much like religion in that it can take the same sources to make opposite conclusions and some Republicans have argued that there was, in fact a defecit in that year. Fortunately, just about everyone agrees that we have had deficits ever since which are likely to continue through my lifetime. I have refused to bail them out any longer.

I totally agree with yr argument that the oil companies should pay more of their profits in taxes, but then I also look forward to World Peace (and stiffer penalties for probation violators). :D

Oh, what a lot of work you make for m, Rick. I missed this post until Grant quoted it with approval, and i think that someone else endorsed yr sentiments. I found myself in strong disagreement, even when I realized that by "here" you meant the U.S, rather than the forum, and since I have a tendency to be rebarbative in debate (what's that? You never noticed? :D ) off I trudged with Tucker to get Sunny's take on it. we both test out somewhat brighter than average, and we enjoy the same spectrum disorder so I generally trust her reasoning even if I don't share her opinion..

She agreed with you. "Of course most people are more interested in Facebook, Smartphones and TV than in the NASA program", and that is a major reason why they are thriving as the NASA program goes down the tubes.She also pointed out, that unlike Facebook and the rest, the NASA program is supported by our taxes. What is it called when people are taxed for things in which thy are not interested in and on which they are not consulted? That's right, taxation without representation, and we all know what that leads to.

Neither of us watches much TV, and though she explains things to me like "bumps" and "Mafia Wars" neither of us spends much time on Facebook, but her Droid is her pride and joy and she pointed out that while a mechanical defect in her phone would "ruin my social life" at least it wouldn't kill her -- remember the faulty O ring, remember the wrongly applied insulation panels? I'm sure that the families of the 16 men and women killed due to those errors do. People don't die "in the name of science" or to "save our American [british, German, Vietnamese] way of life"; they just die and hate every moment of it.

I asked her what she thought of the "scientific improvements in our lives" that the program has brought about. Her mom had just bought a cordless drill from Harbor Freight, so she remembered that one, and I have used those lightweight thermal blankets when camping and there is a baby food which uses "space technology" in its formula (I wonder how baby's managed before that?) and we found a few more on Google, but we couldn't find out how many millions each application had cost.

Most importantly, we reflected on the fact that we are prone to intense interests in strange subjects like mantids, anime, and the Victorian British Army, but we have no illusions that anyone else should be interested in them or that our personal interests give us any moral or intellectual superiority. and that is the impression that I got from your post. Was I wrong?

Say I were to state the following:

"Karl Popper's dictum on falsifiability as a criterion of a scientific theory is still regurgitated by introductory college texts on Biology whose authors appear to have no familiarity with his own corollary of that statement, that "Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory, but a metaphysical research program." It is a pity that many undergraduates are more interested in frat parties and dating than in understanding the fundamental elements of their subject."

Doesn't that appear a little heavy, perhaps even a little condescending?

Sunny says that she doesn't care one way or the other about the program, though she has no illusions that the money saved will find its way back to the American public. I take the more extreme view that it was conceived as a Cold War propaganda device which costs far more than it provides for the tax payers who support it and that though it has contributed much to science, it has long reached the point of diminishing returns, and there is no justification for the expense of continuing it.

Tucker also agrees with you, though. Laika is one of his heroes.

Oh, what a lot of work you make for m, Rick. I missed this post until Grant quoted it with approval, and i think that someone else endorsed yr sentiments. I found myself in strong disagreement, even when I realized that by "here" you meant the U.S, rather than the forum, and since I have a tendency to be rebarbative in debate (what's that? You never noticed? :D ) off I trudged with Tucker to get Sunny's take on it. we both test out somewhat brighter than average, and we enjoy the same spectrum disorder so I generally trust her reasoning even if I don't share her opinion..

She agreed with you. "Of course most people are more interested in Facebook, Smartphones and TV than in the NASA program", and that is a major reason why they are thriving as the NASA program goes down the tubes.She also pointed out, that unlike Facebook and the rest, the NASA program is supported by our taxes. What is it called when people are taxed for things in which thy are not interested in and on which they are not consulted? That's right, taxation without representation, and we all know what that leads to.

Neither of us watches much TV, and though she explains things to me like "bumps" and "Mafia Wars" neither of us spends much time on Facebook, but her Droid is her pride and joy and she pointed out that while a mechanical defect in her phone would "ruin my social life" at least it wouldn't kill her -- remember the faulty O ring, remember the wrongly applied insulation panels? I'm sure that the families of the 16 men and women killed due to those errors do. People don't die "in the name of science" or to "save our American [british, German, Vietnamese] way of life"; they just die and hate every moment of it.

I asked her what she thought of the "scientific improvements in our lives" that the program has brought about. Her mom had just bought a cordless drill from Harbor Freight, so she remembered that one, and I have used those lightweight thermal blankets when camping and there is a baby food which uses "space technology" in its formula (I wonder how baby's managed before that?) and we found a few more on Google, but we couldn't find out how many millions each application had cost.

Most importantly, we reflected on the fact that we are prone to intense interests in strange subjects like mantids, anime, and the Victorian British Army, but we have no illusions that anyone else should be interested in them or that our personal interests give us any moral or intellectual superiority. and that is the impression that I got from your post. Was I wrong?

Say I were to state the following:

"Karl Popper's dictum on falsifiability as a criterion of a scientific theory is still regurgitated by introductory college texts on Biology whose authors appear to have no familiarity with his own corollary of that statement, that "Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory, but a metaphysical research program." It is a pity that many undergraduates are more interested in frat parties and dating than in understanding the fundamental elements of their subject."

Doesn't that appear a little heavy, perhaps even a little condescending?

Sunny says that she doesn't care one way or the other about the program, though she has no illusions that the money saved will find its way back to the American public. I take the more extreme view that it was conceived as a Cold War propaganda device which costs far more than it provides for the tax payers who support it and that though it has contributed much to science, it has long reached the point of diminishing returns, and there is no justification for the expense of continuing it.

Tucker also agrees with you, though. Laika is one of his heroes.
You're correct in that some people don't care but yet are taxed to support the program and they don't agree with that. I believe there are many worse things to be taxed for. I don't really care for paying taxes for schools since I have no children, but I still am required to. I am not being condescending nor do I think I am somehow better than those who don't share the interest in space. But I do find it sad that many people don't understand the purpose behind such research. I disagree with your statement, "it was conceived as a Cold War propaganda device." Really? You actually believe that? Now it may have gotten its start due to the competition with the Soviets, but I don't think your statement is really accurate.

We can debate the merits of and the necessity of a government run space program until the cows come home and not change anyone's views here. I love fossil collecting, but I don't look down on anyone who doesn't share the same interest. I don't see that example and my interest in the space program as the same thing. Space research benefits all of us. I don't think you have to actually be interested in something like that to understand the benefits. Maybe a government run program isn't the best option in our current economic state, but I have my doubts whether or not the private industry can do it on the same level. The private industry seems more interested in sending those with deep pockets into low Earth orbit for a quick thrill.