The Least Interested Man in the World

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gripen

Reaction score
I have been trying to breed my pair of Hierodula cf. venosa for over a week and a half. When I first started trying to breed them the male was four weeks into adult and the female was two weeks into adult. My first attempt at mating them started normally. I brought the female out of her cage and put her on the "mating branch" (the stick that I mate my mantids on). I gave her a quick and healthy bumble bee snack. I then brought the male out of his cage and placed him about a foot behind her. After two more bumble bees the male had not made his move. I decided she was probably to young so I returned them both to their respective cages.

I waited a few days and saw that the female was calling. This time I first put them male on a flat surface and waited until he was acclimated to his surroundings. I then placed the female about six inches in front of him. He again did not notice her. He did not even bat an antenna at her like males do when they are interested in a female. I decided that he needed more time to mature so I brought them back to their cages again. I kept trying to mate them again and again every day. I kept getting more and more frustrated. The male would never notice the female!

Today I tried again. This time I warmed up the male beforehand. I put the female out on a flat surface first gave her a cricket and then placed the male behind her. This time the male did look at her and did seem to notice her. After about five minutes the male decided he wasn't interested anymore and started to walk away. I decided right then and there that walking away was not an option for him today. I picked him up and placed him on the female. She was very confused but at last the male was really interested. He clasped onto her thorax with his raptors and attempted to mate. He was to far forward though. His head was right next to hers. It took him five minutes to figure out he was doing something wrong. He finally moved back far enough to connect. After a few seconds he found his opening (pardon the pun) and connect. After four crickets they still are connected. At this point if he survives the ordeal it is by the grace of the female because this is one of the stupidest males I have ever seen.

I always place the male directly onto the female if he shows no interest.

Well he made it out alive. They mated for 13 hours and the female went through 6 crickets lol (a cricket every time she tried to eat him).

this is one of the stupidest males I have ever seen.
Male Deroplatys lobata, in my opinion are the least aware of how to be a male...they have on more occassions just carelessly see a female notice her....approach like going to mate, then walk right infront of and present themselves as a meal instead of a mate...lol :) Persistance sometimes pays off, in this case it did! :) :clap:

Cheers,

Andrew

Male Deroplatys lobata, in my opinion are the least aware of how to be a male...they have on more occassions just carelessly see a female notice her....approach like going to mate, then walk right infront of and present themselves as a meal instead of a mate...lol :)

Persistance sometimes pays off, in this case it did! :) :clap:

Cheers,

Andrew
I can totally agree about lobata males. Figures why I never got mine breed last year.

Male died today of old age probably. Good news though the female is laying an ooth as I type.

Latest posts