The mantis family 2021

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cara4.jpg

Cara a few days ago, still without wings. This afternoon she molted to adult and has wings now. They grow up so fast. Somehow Tux don't hunt his prey anymore. I had to force feed him to get some food in his belly. prefer they hunt their food. but dont like to look at thin abdomens.

Long time i have posted here.

Time for an update of my couple of mantids. Tux did molt this morning. He is in the drying up fase now at this moment of writing.

Tuxfinal-molt.jpg

Cara is a walking stomach on 6 legs. Think she is going to lay an infertel ooth soon

cara5.jpg

She was so hungry she grabbed the grasshopper out of my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week we had nice sunny and warm weather so I took Cara outside. here a pic  of Cara walking on my leg

cara6.jpg

She is fat enough for not flying away :p Tux i couldnt take outside sadly enough. He could fly away.

Tux is eating his first dinner after molt: he didnt eat the whole grasshopper but he ate good. I think he his a hansome mantis.

Tux5.jpg

Love is in the air.❤️

Tux and Cara are mating. A good connection. Cara ia eating a roach so she hopefully not eating Tux his head. She didn't eat Tux his head , I could remove him before she was done with her roach. I think her next ooth will be fertile. I dont want Tux to be eaten.

I don't know if I should mate them again, but someone of you would know what is best.😉

Connected.jpg
   Good connection. Tux really fast jumped on her and could connect fast. Cara was calling to him, so they both were in the right mood.  ;)

Somehow Cara is  restless, agitated. I hope she can find rest so she can lay her ooth. Dont know if this is normal with a mated females?

Was the first succes full mating I have seen since I am keeping them

And she is laying her ooth now. I am  proud of my girl,  Won't desturb her and it is a huge ooth. It needs to dry now. Think Cara is hungry now. Think i should treat the ooth if it is a fertile one. hope Cara en Tux will be living on in their kids..

and a bad thing happens too: Tux is dying...

Cara died last night.  she gave me 3 ooths. I hope they are fertile. Dont know how long it will take before they hatch. does someone of you know how long till te first ooth hatches? Is is boring be without an alive mantis.

Somehow her 2 of her legs was turning black till the knee. But she kept a good appetite till her dead. she had a good mantis life. She even mated with Tux

All her ooths looks like the one in picture. :)

Cara had a very long life. She has done all the things that is posible in a mantis life. Now I am waiting for her and Tuxs  offspring😎

Somehow Cara is  restless, agitated. I hope she can find rest so she can lay her ooth. Dont know if this is normal with a mated females?

Was the first succes full mating I have seen since I am keeping them
Hi @Little Mantis! Kinda late. Yes! A female preparing to lay her ooth will transit up and down, back an forth, restlessly looking for "the spot".

Cara died last night.  she gave me 3 ooths. I hope they are fertile. Dont know how long it will take before they hatch. does someone of you know how long till te first ooth hatches? Is is boring be without an alive mantis.

Somehow her 2 of her legs was turning black till the knee. But she kept a good appetite till her dead. she had a good mantis life. She even mated with Tux
6 weeks, give or take. Faster, if kept warmer. Her first ooth should have hatched a long time ago, yes? Maybe section the ooth with a razorblade, to see the condition of the eggs.

No hachting yet. I have treated the ooths like they were alive.  Left the oots with Cara till the end of her life but still no hatching  yet.. ik have 2 plastic mantids that I have put in chage. one to "guard" the ooths. I left them where Cara have layed them on the lid. I miss having life mantids at home and I am tempted to buy a couple again

I bought a new mantis today: Her name is Consuela. She is an Hierodula patellifer It was boring whitout one😁 So i can enjoy her being with me. I hope she will get a full healthy mantistis life.

A pic of her I show later, I need more space to get photoshop working

edit:

consuela-1.jpg

My girl is no longer green she has changed her color since her last molt. She is not big eater like Cara was. The grashopper is still alive. I should take a new pic to show her color

hehe, I got photoshop working again. (y)Time for a pic of consuela: here she is having her dinner: a juicy grasshopper.
Consuela is not a big eater for a female mantis. All the mantids (females) I have had before were stomachs om 6 legs. Laid very late a small infertile ooth.

consuela.jpg

Here another pic of Consula eating a grasshopper, she eats not that much she doens't eat the abdomens. I think that is the best part to eat i think, but I can be wrong. She likes to drink from a cotton swap, maybe i can take a pic when she drinks.

I was so temted to buy a mantis when I was at the pet store last week (I needed grasshoppers) but next week they are coming

Attachments

• consuela eating.jpg
    consuela eating.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0