The Monarchs have returned!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
So this afternoon I glanced out the window at my butterfly garden to find a monarch butterfly darting around. He/she stopped at my milkweed for a drink and then went to my buddleja for more nectar. And of course when I come out with my camera its gone!!!!! If I find another one I will take pics. Nothing was laid so I suspect it was a male because I didnt get a good look at the wings.! I should have some caterpillars soon! Sadly I can only ship to people west of the continental divide. :(

I have a giant monarch in my garden right now.

I found a GIANT SWALLOWTAIL (Papilio cresphontes) in my backyard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I don't see many of them here anymore. The only time i ever see any is when they start there migration. When i was a kid i would hundreds flying by.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are common in California around August- October. I dont get the first brood for some reason. Never had.....

I have only found a Giant Swallowtail once. They are very rare in CA, and are pest to citrus farmers here... I love visiting the Monarch Reservation in Santa Barbara.

11it's fine cuz i just caught 3 monarchs today!! im overflowing with them lol
Wow! U must get the first brood. I never do.... Did your black swallowtail eggs hatch yet?

Hey, am i aloud to brag that all my painted lady tails just cocooned up in the past two days?

Well, all but one, as my brand new male panther chameleon was eye balling the caterpillars and I had to give him one.

So now I have 19 or 20 cocoons in a big net cage. I can't wait til they hatch.

I promise to only feed off the ones with bad wings. :) the rest I'm thinking of freeranging in my apartment....my friends think I'm nuts, but what do I care. :p

Harry

You can be happy all you want.

But I hope you dont mind me bragging.

Last year I kept 52 monarchs

I have been raising Gulf frits for 3 years

I had 30 something Mourning Cloaks last year only a little this year

I had about 8 cabbage whites

I have had about 40 Red Admirals

and about 60 painted ladies

You can be happy all you want.

But I hope you dont mind me bragging.

Last year I kept 52 monarchs

I have been raising Gulf frits for 3 years

I had 30 something Mourning Cloaks last year only a little this year

I had about 8 cabbage whites

I have had about 40 Red Admirals

and about 60 painted ladies
Oh yeah? Well I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to butterflys, plus I'm ugly. :p

Harry

Oh yeah? Well I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to butterflys, plus I'm ugly. :p

Harry
What were you feeding the painted lady cats?

If you want to free range choose a selected room that isnt dirty or messy. Watch out for the red liquid that comes out from the butterfly, its isnt blood, it is know as meconium that is the natural secretions created while in the chrysalis. IT STAINS EVERYTHING! I really dont recomend freeranging because most nectar plants wont grow indoors unless with provided humidity

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm hatching them in a big screen cage. 24x48

I'll be using sugar water with cotton balls and some cut up mellons in a dish for them to eat.

I don't plan on freeranging until all that red goop is dry and they won't stain anything.

We will see how it works out.

BTW, I keep chameleons in my home, so the humidity is kept above 50% for the most part. My rooms humidity right now is 85%

Yet any tips are welcome.

Harry

No messy rooms. I once did it in my bathroom. high humidity. etc. Its nice to walk in and see them flying but they will eat alot.
Yes, I agree.

I just went to the Bronx Zoo a few weeks ago and learned a lot. They had a green house setup with a path to walk to the exit...with butterflys dancing all around you. It was unreal.

Harry

hertarem45, do you go to the bug fair in los angeles in may? they have a lot of cool species like anise swallowtails, luna cocoons, the species in your list, etc.

I went last year. The line for the butterfly pavillion was incredibly long! So I spent most of my time indoors. I did see anise there but I tried to buy them off this guy who just found them in his yard. He didnt except anything :(

Do you go?

Latest posts