The other fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr

Reaction score
I found a pair of these bright yellow flies mating. Apparently they're one of the other families referred to as "fruit flies." They look perfectly snack-sized for my mantids and I was wondering if anyone knows how to breed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
RL4ZQL5Z8L1H9HRRGH1HEHVHMH5Z7H2ZLLWZ4LAZSL1H7H6ZKLEZ5HOHXHBHIHJHUH3HNHYH5LJHXLAZILHRGHBHLL.jpg

They look like that.

They're a different family... Tephritidae or something like that?
Yeah. Mija has access to these (and yes, you got the name right!) and we were thinking of using these as a transition between ffs and micro/mini crix. They eat fruit (surprise!) and soil the wound and live off the resulting decaying mess. The big problem is that it takes the eggs about a month to become adults, at least in the area she lives in.

I think that over here, they are called "peacock flies." I saw one yesterday.

Hey, Zephyr! You're becoming an expert on diptera! Did you continue to breed phorids?

Yeah. Mija has access to these (and yes, you got the name right!) and we were thinking of using these as a transition between ffs and micro/mini crix. They eat fruit (surprise!) and soil the wound and live off the resulting decaying mess. The big problem is that it takes the eggs about a month to become adults, at least in the area she lives in.I think that over here, they are called "peacock flies." I saw one yesterday.

Hey, Zephyr! You're becoming an expert on diptera! Did you continue to breed phorids?
Hmm... They're always hanging out near my sunflowers... Maybe they eat those? I'll try mashing up a sunflower plant with some fruit for them...

And yes, I did. They're 1000000000x better than fruit flies, even if they can fly! I'm using them for my toadlets and for my mantids (If you give them enough medium you can grow them big enough for L5 Chinese mantids to eat!)

**Edit- Also, I found the species name too! Megaselia scalaris. Apparently they're pretty common and hardy as heck. (Somebody raised them on shoe polish and paint emulsion... Ewwwww.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts