The Wandering Violin mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
Hey all,

How does this species do on blaptica dubia roaches? Just curious...

Any sort of moths I could get offline that would be more of a meal? House flies and even blue bottle flies don't appear to be much of a meal for them...

Mine eat nothing but bluebottle flies. They stay nice and plump. I have two to a net cage and I usually drop in about ten flies every other day.

Mine eat nothing but bluebottle flies. They stay nice and plump. I have two to a net cage and I usually drop in about ten flies every other day.
True, alright thanks Rick for that info.

Hey man, when you hatch out flies, do you do the fridge method in order to "drop" them in the cage? How does one do that without killing the living flies? How long do you put the flies in the fridge for? How long do they stay stunned so to speak...?

True, alright thanks Rick for that info.

Hey man, when you hatch out flies, do you do the fridge method in order to "drop" them in the cage? How does one do that without killing the living flies? How long do you put the flies in the fridge for? How long do they stay stunned so to speak...?
My flies are only in the fridge when they are pupae. ONce they are flies they live in a 32 oz cup and eat honey. When it is time to feed mantids I put the entire cup of flies into the freezer for a few minutes. Then I remove them with my tongs before they start moving.

My flies are only in the fridge when they are pupae. ONce they are flies they live in a 32 oz cup and eat honey. When it is time to feed mantids I put the entire cup of flies into the freezer for a few minutes. Then I remove them with my tongs before they start moving.
Freezer for literally 3 minutes? Didn't know that was OK for them, but now I sure do. Thanks again Rick for your info. :)

Freezer for literally 3 minutes? Didn't know that was OK for them, but now I sure do. Thanks again Rick for your info. :)
Or however long it takes them to stop moving. Brand new flies take four minutes. This is bluebottle flies.

Latest posts