Theopompa servillei

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tier

Reaction score
I recieved some nymphs; they seem to do well so far.

2110398477_330f251ec3_o.jpg

2110398543_0ed35c8c9e_o.jpg

2111177142_1baf773f40_o.jpg

2111177218_78938e7c8d_o.jpg

2111177300_d2b3381542_o.jpg

Best regards,

tier

Haha!

Yes.

Well, it is not one, to define it more precise :)

But I was told of an ootheca someone else has got. From a different female than my nymphs are from

:)

regards

Aw, lucky. I really am interested and after this species. Where did you order from? Are they taking melanogaster or hydei currently?

If you get any ootheca you're willing to sell off in the future, please let me know. ;)

Hi

Big Drosophila are no problem concerning their size, but I prefer other food than flies for this species.

No, I won't sell anything of this species in the next future. Maybe in half a year or so, or maybe not ;-)

The picture is showing a L3/4 nymph, by the way.

The last time Theopompa was in captive breed, it dissapeared as quick as it has arrived in the game.

Hundreds of Gongylus are waiting for a warmer climate, thats all I will sell in near future. But will guess I won't sell anything to USA as long as I'm not very sure for law and permission.

I got the Theopompa on a show over here, I do not think there is any chance for you to recieve them

:-(

Best regards and thank you for beeing interested,

tier

Ya, I heard something about them not eating well or soemthing? That a cause of them to dissapear?

Anyways, lucky you, and nice!

Ah, I forgot you're in Germany. :p :rolleyes:

Ya, I heard something about them not eating well or soemthing? That a cause of them to dissapear? Anyways, lucky you, and nice!
I think Yen said that they were really skittish and some required handfeeding... which is quite a task for him since he as many mantids.

They are really skiddish, I have some too. They are a beautiful blue molted color, and stay hunched down all the time, I really like the way they look and their faces look kind of mean. I am down to just one the other died this week due to a bad molt I think. I think Luke has females and I have the males. Really nice mantis though, they really grab their food when hungry, but if not hungry they will not even look at the food. I did notice that they will stay on the lid like the other mantis, and I was surprised because they look more like ground dwellers. They will eat their food on the lid sitting on the table like other mantis when hungry and do not run and hide unless u scare them. I would tell u I will post pic tomorrow, but I never seem to get around to it. But we will see.! ;)

Hi

servillei is not too tall, let's say about 5-6 cm for adult females (and males as well, as far as I realized from pictures).

Yes, as it was already pointed out, they like to hang upside down on net-meshes. Sometimes they hang on the net-mesh, sometimes on a piece o bark, sometimes on the ground.

There isn't any cannibalism yet, sometimes they all hang directly next to each other, sometimes they quickly run away from each other.

If my L1-nymphs are disturbed by my hand, they all run very fast, almost like crabs, yes, this is right.

And yes, they don not eat a lot.

regards,

tier

Theopompa are not fast-running "barkies" which pursue up and down the trunk in search for prey. They rest relatively still with the head downwards. However, when threatened, they become lightning-fast and turn to the other side of the trunk, out of sight of the disturber. There, they run jerkily up the trunk until out of reach. All barkies do it like this. So, they can be fast if necessary, but usually Theopompa do not behave very hectically. This species reaches 4,5-5 cm, other species may be slightly larger.

Hi

The first larvs are L6 and L7 now, maybe L7 is Subsub. However, they are just about 2cm as L7 now, with every moulting they grew about 1-2mm!

The two larvs on the pictures are L6, not as old as the biggest yet. It's both females:

2230113027_7302dc6ff2_o.jpg

2230906378_0500e690f8_o.jpg

regards

Here are some subadult females of Theopompa servillei

2295486203_9300fc39a9_o.jpg

2296278792_073c99ce13_o.jpg

Here is a bright one and a darker one:

2295486421_8e5e2f12b5_o.jpg

regards

Photographed in their natural habitat...
e040.gif
That's why they are blue: Bigger carnivorous fish like sharks cannot see them while climbing through the corral-reefs. Yes, exactly!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly ive had no experiance with bark mantids (yet, what im i saying, probaly will never find any :( )

Anyway, those wing buds arent overlapping or even touching, with average mantids, not sure about these doesnt taht mean its not sub?

Latest posts