Theopompa servillei

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

That is possible, I have no adult female yet. Maybe they are not subadult yet. Well, the wingbuds are much bigger than one molting ago, but you are right, they are not as big as they maybe should supposed to be. :unsure:

Absolutely beautiful, I am envious!

How many of these do you have currently, and do you have breeding stock?

Love the turquoise blue color on them. :)

Hi

Yes, the colour is great, thanks.

I just hope that they are subadult, they are L9 (!!!) now!!!

Well, I have some, I will give away some and just keep about 15 breeding pairs I guess (But I'm sorry, a friend of mine is already waiting for the overplus pairs ). It is my first time with them and in fact it is no real breeding stock in the moment, but I hope it will become a breeding stock in soon future. My first aim now are adults who will mate each other <_<

regards,

Stefan

I have a good bunch of these, too, so the stock should be safe for the moment. The next generation should reveal more.

My, 15 breeding pairs! :eek: That's a lot.

Hopefully we see more circulation with this species in a few months - I haven't seen any theompompa offered since Yen kept them.

I used to have some of these a while ago. They didn't do so well, like mentioned earlier, they dont really like to eat. :rolleyes:

But they are very marvelous and are my second favorite bark species, (second to Tarachodes, sp.). :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I love their faces, they look like little monkeys :p The ones I had did ok until the final molt. I lost the one and the other just died of old age, they are really neat but skiddish when it came to eating, they were really leary of the food, did not seem to mind me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Yes, they are really strange with food like it was pointed out before: They aren't attended to food most time. They don't eat it, dont catch and kill it, don't run away and don't scare it off. They don't even look at it. They're just "too cool" for food most time. But once a week or so they eat. They even walk towards food a little when hungry. They eat bluebottles with an age of L6 or so.

And another special is that they always moult in hidden, shadowed places like under big pieces of bark. You can watch them moulting nearly never, just the old shed and the 2mm more in size are prooving the moultings.

I like this species most when it comes to barkies, but I think Tarachodes or Metallyticus are as fine as them.

But this is the only bark-inhabiting species I've ever kept. Tarachodes is perfectly camouflaged, but Th. servillei and especially Metallyticus splendidus can make a lot of points through their colour, I think. I do not know any other mantids with these colours M.splendidus or Th. servillei show.

regards

tier

Hi

Morpheus uk, you are right: One of the larvae which was L9 (I'm not 100% sure I counted the stages correctly) moulted again - but is no adult yet. It's L10 now, I guess. Looking at the wingbuds NOW it should be subadult. It is no blue but a greyish colour-morph:

2338179232_6bfe5092d5_o.jpg

regards

Latest posts