Thesprotia graminis mating.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frack

Reaction score
Hi, I tried mating some Thesprotia graminis for the first time today and everything went great! It took a little while at first and I finnaly had to just push him on her but once I did he hopped on and well you know... He was on her for almost 2 hours which surprised me, I thouht he wouldnt be on her for anywhere near as long. Once it was all over he hopped off and flew away, right into a wall lol but he was fine and I put him back in his home. Hopefully Ill be having a bunch of babys soon. :D

100_0967.jpg

Two hours is nothing. Many of them stay connected for like twelve hours. I have had some mantids still connected 24 hours later.

Two hours is nothing. Many of them stay connected for like twelve hours. I have had some mantids still connected 24 hours later.
With my Didymocoryha I saw mating only once - they mated for 15 minutes, yet all of my females were fertile. So I would not care about the length of the mating too much.

expanding on what Kruszakus was saying, the length of 'connection' time between the male and female does not necessarily mean more sperm is being deposited or increased female fertility. I'm not too familiar with mantids behavioural (reproductive) ecology and anatomy, but sperm transfer generally does not take long, however, when females are limited, males have to compete between each other for these limited resources. The best way to guarantee your paternity and your reproductive success is to guard your female from other males from mating with her, which is easily done by physically blocking the female's vulva by staying connected. The disadvantages of remaining connected to the female for too long includes 1) being eaten by the female 2) being eaten by a predator and 3) the male's 'reproductive success'/rewards from his investment decreases over time (diminishing returns). The other optimal male mating strategy is to spend less time mating (=less time in connection with the female) but mates with more females (i.e. Krus' and his Didymoryha).

Last edited by a moderator:
expanding on what Kruszakus was saying, the length of 'connection' time between the male and female does not necessarily mean more sperm is being deposited or increased female fertility. I'm not too familiar with mantids behavioural (reproductive) ecology and anatomy, but sperm transfer generally does not take long, however, when females are limited, males have to compete between each other for these limited resources. The best way to guarantee your paternity and your reproductive success is to guard your female from other males from mating with her, which is easily done by physically blocking the female's vulva by staying connected. The disadvantages of remaining connected to the female for too long includes 1) being eaten by the female 2) being eaten by a predator and 3) the male's 'reproductive success'/rewards from his investment decreases over time (diminishing returns). The other optimal male mating strategy is to spend less time mating (=less time in connection with the female) but mates with more females (i.e. Krus' and his Didymoryha).
Very nice explanatory expansion, Chun... thank you for including it! ;) :)

What's with parthenogenesis with this species? I hear that they breed this way...

Got 3 males and 9 females - I'm gon mate them by the end of December - so I expect a horseload of fertile ooths myself :)

What's with parthenogenesis with this species? I hear that they breed this way...Got 3 males and 9 females - I'm gon mate them by the end of December - so I expect a horseload of fertile ooths myself :)
I think maybe your thinking of Brunneria borealis. Good luck with the mating!

I think maybe your thinking of Brunneria borealis. Good luck with the mating!
Nope - somewhere there was an information that this species can reproduce this way.

I will have no problems with the mating, this species is just a walkthough :)

Well I went out to eat and when I came home I found an extra little present for me, my first ooth hatched! I only got 3 out of it but it was oddly shaped and only about 1/3 normal size so I expected less than usual. Merry christmas! B) :lol: :) :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Latest posts