This... Has been disappointing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaky123

Reaction score
Well. I just have to say this. I have had some horrible luck these last couple of weeks. Let me list the deaths in chronological order.

Adult male limbata (probably the female near him plus his inability to mate drove him crazy)

Sub female pictipennis (unknown)

Female orientalis (mismolt)

Sub female pictipennis (unknown)

Fresh adult pictipennis (unknown)

Sub female pictipennis (mismolted her last molt)

Adult female pictipennis (stopped eating)

Adult female limbata (most likely eggbound)

Adult male pictipennis (unknown)

I may be missing some, but I really don't care. I have a ton of dead bodies to finish cleaning up, not to mention im worried sick for my remaining pictipennis, and im also paranoid that one of my ghosts is gonna die before I can mate them. Lets just say its probably gonna be a long time before I buy any mantids again. And, as usual, I'm probably going to have an oversupply of limbatas, which I should be happy for, but because of what's going on, I'm getting stressed with the mantids. Don't be surprised if u see me in the classifieds giving away/selling really cheap mantids. Im really ticked off.

Really had to blow off some steam. This is the largest amount of near-adult mantids I've ever had die in the space of TWO AND A HALF WEEKS.

There is clearly something wrong within your collection or your overall husbandry to be this bad off. Id tuff it out and learn from it and to be honest with that many mantids killing over in your collection Im not sure anyone would want to buy whats left without setting up a serious quarantine for them.

Sorry for your losses, but you said this was the largest death of near adult mantids you have had die in a 2-3 week span, that tells me you have had similar losses something is clearly wrong.

There is clearly something wrong within your collection or your overall husbandry to be this bad off. Id tuff it out and learn from it and to be honest with that many mantids killing over in your collection Im not sure anyone would want to buy whats left without setting up a serious quarantine for them.

Sorry for your losses, but you said this was the largest death of near adult mantids you have had die in a 2-3 week span, that tells me you have had similar losses something is clearly wrong.
If it's a virus or parasite, it's only affecting the pictipennis... And I'm doing nothing different. I really wish I knew.

As for the deaths, my highest amount of deaths in that amount of time was 3... Except for old age.

My project for the week is sterilizing cages now... Ugh.

I had a string of deaths not too long ago. Think it was due to dehydration. Addressed the issue and move forward. Don't give up.

I had a string too...a bunch of mantids that I received last Christmas started dying off, and then my wild caught m. religiosa died off, too.

Don't let it get you down, though. Think of it as a chance to start fresh, and as patrickfraser said, just move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
odd how the pictipennis r dying, mine r fine, males r very suscectible to infection but also males only live 2 months as adults

what conditions r they at?
I was thinking bacteria maybe, but I moved one of the females into a clean cage weeks before she died, and since she wasnt eating there wasnt any body pieces or anything.

My sub ghost male died last night. Im starting to notice patterns, like he would wander around his cage, but when i would hold hin hed just sit there. I saw the same thing in one of the female pictipennis.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is getting colder in most parts of the US. Are you keeping your mantids at the approximate temperatures? Room temp might not be good enough in chain situations.

Latest posts