this is for you Tammy

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpdrive

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got some P Wahlbrgii nymps from Tammy not long ago, and boy am I happy.

they are so cool and are the first mantid that I have that does the "row your boat" moves with their arms when they feel theatened. it's too funny at times.

because I got a lot of them, it's fun watching the differnt sizes and now I have my first L4 yesterday morning. so I wanted to thank Tammy for sending me my all time favorite mantid and making my dreams come true.

so Tammy, this photo shoot is for you.

L4 on the left, L3 on the right

6837857822_132e60204c_b.jpg

6983979647_0d6c17cb24_b.jpg

6983979793_a857f32291_b.jpg

6983979757_977505d2a9_b.jpg

Harry

my creos will do that....only seen em do it a couple times, its really cool and very different. Little butt wag to power the boat with a little rowing to help go faster :D

nice pics btw harry

i cant wait to get mine from tammy, very excited

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they communal???
IMO, far from it.

I am keeping them together in small groups of 2 or 3 to a deli tub. my L1s and L2 are split up into slightly larger groups.

but I feel that past L3 it is not safe to keep them in larger groups regardless if others do it. they are more like creos in that you can keep them together until sub adult, but you will have some loses even in a big net cage. they are big eaters and I fear that they should be kept by themselfs if you buy only a small group of them and you want to min the amout of canabilism.

once adulthood has been reached, I would fear keeping any of them together as the older ones will eat the younger ones.

I'm sure that if you PM Tammy she will be able to give you her thoughts on them. but this was just my two cents worth on something that I never kept before and hope I've helped in some small way.

Harry

Very nice pics again, Harry. These are some of my favorites also. I too am getting some soon. I screwed up the first time I had a chance to be breeding them. This time I will be so cautious. There is a lot of cannibalism in the world of mantisdom.

Are they communal???
I would say HEX no with this species lol
Very nice pics again, Harry. These are some of my favorites also. I too am getting some soon. I screwed up the first time I had a chance to be breeding them. This time I will be so cautious. There is a lot of cannibalism in the world of mantisdom.
indeed there is.......lots

thank you for the kind words and also your wisdom on such a wonderful mantid.

Harry

Can't wait to get mine from Tammy

And Tammy, I've had probs gettin the message to u via email so I will say here that the box is too big for my mailbox and will be fine :)

Nice shots Harry! It looks like you've been spending more time photographing them than I have. I especially like the last two images. And it's nice to photograph them on your finger as a size reference. I love their personality and behavior. Their raptor leg movements remind me of a dog paddle.

I've only had this species since August. So, I wouldn't consider myself an expert. I raised my first nymphs which I got as L1 and L2s communally until they were pre sub and sub adults. I did not lose any to cannibalism. However, I separated them when one got knocked down while molting. I kept five of my adult females for breeding, though I gave one away after it laid an ooth. And all five of my females produced fertile ooths. Lots of babies! I have no choice but to raise my smaller nymphs communually. I use both 80 ounce plastic enclosures and nets. I've lost a few to cannibalism but it seems to be the L2s - L3s, and I've had as many as 50 in one enclosure. After the 3rd instar they seem to leave each other alone. I provide plenty of food and I switch them to bb flies as soon as possible, and I continue to thin them out as they get bigger. I would not attempt to raise the adults together as they are quite aggressive, though two of my males lasted for two weeks before they were eaten.

I separated one nymph at L1 so that I can photograph each instar. By the time I am able to determine the sex, I will know what the sex of the first instar was. The interesting thing is that this nymph is molting several days behind the ones that hatched from the same ooth. It's raised at the same temperature. Now it's possible that I picked a runt, and one nymph will not be proof. But I'm wondering if they eat less when there is less competition. I just had another ooth hatch this morning, and I may separate another nymph. I'm hoping that when I'm done I will have documented each instar for both male and female.

Nice pics! Looking forward to documenting these as they mature. Mine are only L3.

Here is a shot right after molt before it turned black again...

PwahlbergiiL3_9358-sm.jpg

If u wanna see off topic, read this:

http://mantidforum.n...showtopic=14105

:p
QUOTE (Katnapper @ Jun 18 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sincerely hope you do not throw gummy bears to seagulls.
angry.gif
sad.gif

quote=Phil

My daughter, Patty, told me many years ago, that it's OK to do this so long as you bite the gummy bear's head off first so that "he can't scream!"
biggrin.gif

...and that's why I miss Phil. :clown:

oooops, sorry. :eek:fftopic:

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts