This is not what I wanted to wake up to today...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malakyoma

Reaction score
tNJjZ.jpg

1wFzk.jpg

4W1Lb.jpg

Looks like I'm done breeding until the Griffins and Mesopteryx mature. Hopefully there were more connections than the one that I witnessed, although her most recent ooth looks in much better shape than her first.

*Note: She ate two and a half supers after laying two days ago. I don't think she did this because she was hungry.

R.I.P. Hercules. I'll miss you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing after her first ooth and had no problems. But now I know for next time to feed them full on every worm I can every hour after they lay.

Well the silver lining is they definitely mated, perhaps many times. I saw him jump on almost every evening and be separated by the next morning when I woke up. plenty of time for some fun. Her second ooth also looks much better than her first, which makes me believe that at least the one time I saw a good connection was successful.

Sorry about that.

My Polyspilota aeruginosa males that I used for breeding were both eaten, too. My females were well fed, and they had uneaten flies and mealworms in the enclosure. I had one female that did not eat the male. It may be because she was missing one of her raptors and couldn't as easily grab him. My experience with this species has been that the males get eaten when either the females aren't ready, or the males are no longer needed because they already mated.

I hope your ooths are fertile!

If they mated then it's not really that bad unless you have other unmated females of that species. Regardless of how satiated you think a female is, never assume she won't consume the male.

If they mated then it's not really that bad unless you have other unmated females of that species. Regardless of how satiated you think a female is, never assume she won't consume the male.
I knew it was a very real possibility, but I do my best to make sure it doesnt happen. I bought this pair already adults to get my first experience with breeding before my P. griffinii and M. alata mature. I kept them together a long time, I saw him almost constantly on her back, I knew there was always a chance she'd eat him. The difference being I raise all my mantids as pets, so each loss hurts.

So sorry, same thing happen to my only male taumantis and I don't even know if they connected, now I have 10 females and no male for them :(

If they already successfully connected multiple times I'm confused why you continued to leave them together?

I have seen male with most of the thorax gone still able to pair up with female so if you could have intercepted the female from eating him whole, saved the 'bottom' part and placed it on top of female, it might still work, but since your female been mated, just let her have a full stomach maybe that's what Hercules wanted to do - nutrient to his next generation.

If the ooth she laid does not look round or long and puff....I'll show u the 2 ooth i have that will be sent out week.. ... if it look very slim and not healthy ... then might not be fertile ... I have only lost 1 male .. infact 1 of my male attacked my only Green Marble .. now she is dieing the male attacked her face so she can eat is a slow death .. ... too bad she only give me 3 ooth before she had to go ...

20130111_094635.jpg

20130111_094628.jpg

the Ooth in Pic was laid yesterday here is a ooth laid last week .

20130111_094726.jpg

20130111_094739.jpg

The new one is puffy but its not as big as those. I think its because she chose to lay it somewhere that she was blocked from laying a big one. We'll see if the third one looks like those.