This newbie is really impressed with Mantid mentality

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is great discussion.

I'll give you a friendly challenge on your theories on absolutes, jmac. I'll trade your 100 dollar bill for my ten dollar bill. I don't beleive in absolutes either.

:wink:

I think this is great discussion.I'll give you a friendly challenge on your theories on absolutes, jmac. I'll trade your 100 dollar bill for my ten dollar bill. I don't beleive in absolutes either.

:wink:
I love talking philosophy. Throw an e-mail my way any time. [email protected]

I think this is great discussion.
Yes, great discussion. Perhaps in the wrong thread though. Hehe, why don't we have a mod move some posts to a thread for talking about philosophical things?

I agree - jmac aand I are continuing privately.

I just thought it was great that these amazing little creatures were bringing up questions about life.

:)

Do not turn this into a religious debate/discussion.

But going back to the first page on cats and mantids. Cats are somewhat intelligent. I simply do not believe mantids are in any way intelligent.

Well it depends what you define "intelligence" as right?

Almost all our "vital functions" are controlled by our brainstem and cerebellum. And it is big because humans are big. Mantids could have all the control over their limbs that we have in a much smaller package.

But probably "intelligence" refers to memory and innate learned differences not related to their genetic lineage. (I say probably because I am not trying to fully define intelligence.)

To that extent what makes a mantid intelligent? People in this forum have talked about mantids waving their arms to be picked up, about scouting out cages and avoidence behavior to harmful stimuli. A mantid may be intelligent and yet be unable to do anything with it's intelligence. Mantids can't talk, and I am sure that noone knows exactly what mantids are 'thinking' when they wave back and forth in different situations.

It's hard to classify or identify intelligence, especially if it is not the human kind.

I don't want to get an into an argument over this. Let's stick to discussing mantids. Speaking of which, I am very excited because my budwings and wide arms arrive today. :)
Cool, how many did you get?
I ordered six of each but I ended up with eight widearms and seven budwings. They were all very healthy and well fed. It felt like Christmas opening that package. The budwings even successfully molted while in transit! It's funny to watch how the little guys act. One of them was running and even jumping all over the place. He gave me trouble while I was trying to separate them. Others were calm and cooperative. I love all of them. They're so cute. :D It's been a long time since I've seen a mantis besides the local species.

I don't want to get an into an argument over this. Let's stick to discussing mantids. Speaking of which, I am very excited because my budwings and wide arms arrive today. :)
Cool, how many did you get?
I ordered six of each but I ended up with eight widearms and seven budwings. They were all very healthy and well fed. It felt like Christmas opening that package. The budwings even successfully molted while in transit! It's funny to watch how the little guys act. One of them was running and even jumping all over the place. He gave me trouble while I was trying to separate them. Others were calm and cooperative. I love all of them. They're so cute. :D It's been a long time since I've seen a mantis besides the local species.
I felt the same way when my Giant Asians and Idolomantis arrived. Especially the Idolomantis :D .

I think on a cosmetic level they are quite similar. They stalk their prey, they both clean themselves almost religiously, and they both are incredibly fast at certain times. However, I don't think it's quite the same as far as intelligence goes, and we've had this debate before. For example, my cat has the capacity to be the most arrogant creature I've ever known. My mantids have the capcity to eat and procreate. Two entirely different levels of thought there.

Wow I take a day off and I miss a major debate of Mantis Intellignece and then it turned into belief's. I gotta say I love this forum lol!

Glad to her Jackie Chan is an approved Mantid name too lol. I just needed to differentiate a few of them and Mark got Jackie when he asked for a local Mantid person with a few for sale. . Theres also Bruce Lee from the same ooth lol.