Time Before Mating Male Again

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batsofchaos

Reaction score
So my three Ghosts have been adults for ~4 weeks, and I successfully mated my male with one of the females last night. My other female is ready for mating, but I'm not sure of the appropriate 'cool off' time I should give the male before pairing the two up. I tried running a search, but I didn't come up with much. I was tentatively planning to try mating them on Friday. Is this enough time? Or is it overkill and I can put them together sooner?

Thanks!

Yeah, that amount of time is good enough (at least it is for me). I tend to hold up a few days between matings so that the male can replenish himself. Also, I remember a similar post and Rick (I think) said that you can mate them again the next day.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm probably going to try and mate them tomorrow, since he hit adulthood about a month before the ladies and I don't want him dropping dead before mating with both of them at least once. Best not to tempt fate, you know? All goes well, I should be up to my eyeballs in ooths soon. B)

Something else to consider.... What if there is a difference for younger males versus older males, for the time it takes to rejuvinate in between copulating sessions? I know you can't equate or project human conditions on to insects; but it does seem logical to me that the older a male is, the more time it might take to recover and sufficiently replace sperm content than a fresh, younger male. Just a thought.... :p

And a perfectly reasonable thought. I'll give it a try tomorrow, and if my male isn't interested I'll wait a day and repeat.

Something else to consider.... What if there is a difference for younger males versus older males, for the time it takes to rejuvinate in between copulating sessions? I know you can't equate or project human conditions on to insects; but it does seem logical to me that the older a male is, the more time it might take to recover and sufficiently replace sperm content than a fresh, younger male. Just a thought.... :p
I've found older males will initiate mating much quicker.

I've tried off and on the last week to mate them, with no success. The female has either been too aggressive and won't let the male approach (despite having two fistfuls of cricket), or the male has been completely oblivious (one time he walked over the female like she wasn't there at all, another time he tried his best to eat her but was fended off. Thank goodness he's a 98 pound weakling compared to her). I gave them a breather over the weekend, since I thought she might not be fully developed yet if he's giving her the cold shoulder. I'm going to try again tonight.

I would wait a week just to make sure the male gets food and water cause hes probly tired from doing his business with the first female and then throw that bad boy in there and let him do his business my opninion good luck dude hope you get a successful mate =]

Latest posts