Tiny caterpillars in enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melaniec518

Reaction score
Hi there,

Not sure if this is really a health issue, but just hoping someone might know something about it. I've got a deadleaf mantis (Walter) which I've had for a couple months now and he's been doing great. I have him in a critter crate but am planning on getting a bigger enclosure soon. Anyway, today I noticed that there were dozens of tiny caterpillars in the cage. They were so tiny that if I looked away, it took a second to be able to see them again. When I saw them this morning the sun was hitting the cage. Now the cage is in shadow and I can't find them anymore. There were so many! They looked orangish brown with darker heads. They looked too small for Walt to be able to eat.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and is it something to worry about? Should I take Walt out and give the cage a good cleaning, or would they be a good snack once they get a little bigger? He normally eats wild grasshoppers and some small, wild moths. I put a miller moth in there not too long ago, but he was about to molt and the moth was on its last legs anyway and died before he could eat it.

Any insight would be great! Thanks so much!

I bet one of your moths was gravid and had mated before you caught her. Thats happened to me.

Unless you know exactly who they are, there is no hope for the little surviving. You need to know what food they eat. Most can be picky,requiring a certain plant,some are happy with several plants.

You can put in several different leaves and after afew hours, check the leaves for the caterpillars. That means they like that plant. Put saran wrap over the top to keep humidity up or the leaves will quickly dry out. I use gladware boxes with some small holes for extra air.

Thanks for your reply! I put some leaves in there but I haven't seen a caterpillar in a while. Too bad. I was hoping some would make it. Thanks again!

Latest posts