Tiny creatures on mantis' mouth.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimmergloom

Reaction score
Hi, I had my mantis under the lens yesterday and discovered tiny creatures moving around on the mantis' mouth.
Should I be worried?

Looks to me like some sort of mite? It's possible that they're feeding off of bits and pieces that the mantis smears around its mouth. I don't believe they are harmful to the mantis, but like any parasite they are most likely annoying. You could try to gently remove them with a Q-tip or something, you can get the mantis to hold still for a little while by grabbing it right below the thorax where the wings start. I personally would take precautions just so the mites don't contaminate any other animals in the house,.. well.. just because they are a nuisance.

Thank you for taking a look! I was really worried it might be something that might start eating her.
I'll see if I can gently remove them, she's very tiny though so I might not want to grab her.
I'll give it a shot with her on my hand, she doesn't seem to mind sitting still.

As for other animals, she's the only one I have. My companion in my student apartment.

[edit] I just searched around and someone mentions they go once she sheds. But she's adult, she won't moult any more will she?
Another mentioned olive oil over the mites to suffocate them, will that harm the mantis if I do it carefully?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebecca, as you know, mantids breathe through Spiracles positioned linearly along the upper abdomen. So if Shimmer tried a small amount of olive or vegetable oil along the mantid's mouth, it would not impede her breathing. I don't know how the veggie oil might affect her, but I strongly suspect it would do no harm.

I was thinking just that Digger.
I was thinking if olive oil suffocates them, then so should honey!

And my mantis loves her honey haha.

She won't give me back the stick for at least 5 minutes until it's 100% clean.

If you look closely, the mites are originating from the crickets you're feeding the mantis. It's not uncommon for feeders to be infested with mites.

The cricket she's feeding on in the video is covered in mites and they're crawling onto her as she feeds.

Mites are generally not a problem, but large numbers of them can crawl onto joints and into spiracles and make it difficult for appendages to move and affect her ability to breathe.

Mites are also extremely opportunistic and will attack and crawl into injuries. I've seen grain mites converge on an insect's injuries and crawl in to feed. They ultimately prevented healing and caused the injury to grow in size until the roach died.

Yes, those are grain mites. In general they do no harm. Just feed off the food left over. But in the right conditions they will swarm and cause all kinds of problems. Chances are they come from either fruit fly cultures or the crickets. I often see them on crickets. But I've also seen them on mantids in the wild.

They're small enough the go unnoticed by the host unless they reproduce in large numbers which can stress mantids out. To avoid a swarm keep your enclosures free of any remains. Some also recommend not spraying for a week. If you do find a swarm take care of it right away. Wipe down surfaces with alcohol.

Latest posts