Tong trouble

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So when I first got Coffee, I needed a quick and easy set of tongs to feed him since his set-up is so big comparatively. I got the Zoo Med glow-in-the-dark mantis tongs. However, they're a big bulky and I've noticed Coffee is scared of them, not even taking food from them. I've just been putting the bugs in a smaller container for the time being so he doesn't lose them.

However, does anyone have any brand recommendations? I want to keep a pair of tongs on hand in case I need them. And has anyone else notice this issue?

Tongs looks very big in the mantids eyes, It is better to let them hun prey, What bugs do you give Coffee? Better not giving crickets because they can carry diseases

Tongs looks very big in the mantids eyes, It is better to let them hun prey, What bugs do you give Coffee? Better not giving crickets because they can carry diseases
Not crickets. I haven't caught any. Mostly small beetles. I'm going to try a wolf spider soon (with supervision to make sure it doesn't hurt him).

Not crickets. I haven't caught any. Mostly small beetles. I'm going to try a wolf spider soon (with supervision to make sure it doesn't hurt him).
Any access to roaches or flies? They'd likely be more readily accepted/viewed as prey items.

Side note, I personally tong feed most of my mantids (just for ease of not losing feeders) but I use my long/thin reptile tongs. I agree with @Mantis Lady , maybe the mantis is fearful of the larger tongs or closeness of your hands when feeding?

oh, and love the name Coffee btw!