Too big?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhistsoldier88

Reaction score
Ok, im waiting for my ooths to hatch and i am keeping the deli cup in a long kritter keeper. my question is the ventiliation too big for hatchlings?

Ok, im waiting for my ooths to hatch and i am keeping the deli cup in a long kritter keeper. my question is the ventiliation too big for hatchlings?
Most mantids will be fine as it's the fruitlies you have to worry about. I don't feel critter keepers are a good choice to hatch an ooth in.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of mantis is it? Some mantises are born pretty big while others are tiny. I'd say big ones are fine since you can feed them hydei and hydei are probably too big to get through the gaps.

The ventilation holes are almost certainly too large to keep hatchling mantids/ff's in. Try a screened enclosure of some sort.

Probably for them as it's the fruitlies you have to worry about. I don't feel critter keepers are a good choice to hatch an ooth in.
even thought the only thing they can climb is eachother and the ooths?

What kind of mantis is it? Some mantises are born pretty big while others are tiny. I'd say big ones are fine since you can feed them hydei and hydei are probably too big to get through the gaps.
read my signature

The ventilation holes are almost certainly too large to keep hatchling mantids/ff's in. Try a screened enclosure of some sort.
mine looks like this: http://www.petco.com/product/5914/Lee-s-Kritter-Keepers.aspx but longer and shorter by about half

I think the nymphs and fruitflies will still be able to get out. :( You could do what I did for my unicorns and put a paper towel on the top of the enclosure and then snap the lid on over it. Feeding is a little difficult though, some nymphs always manage to escape, and you're bound to accidentally squish one or two when snapping the lid back on.

Still, I've had very good success using this method. I'll be raising the rest of my nymphs in all-screen/fabric enclosures though. In my opinion, its well worth the extra money.

I always find the best option is to hatch the ootheca in a deli cup, and then transfer the nymphs into a mesh/butterfly cage.

I really should get some photos of mine up...they make life rearing nymphs 100% easier.

I've raised up many tiny insects in critter keepers no problem. All I do is take some scotch tape and line the lid (sticky part facing outside). That keeps me escapee free. Personally though I would go with a nice fine mesh cage for the hatchlings. It makes it a lot easier for the little ones to climb about without slipping. They also have a nice soft mesh fabric to fall on versus hard plastic when exiting the oothe.

I glued screen to mine, so I could take them visiting with me!
Oh, I like that method a lot. Not only would it prevent escapee's but make a great surface for the mantises to cling too. Might have to try that out myself now. ^.^

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts