Too Late?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pray

Reaction score
Is it too late to hatch? It's been weeks now it seems, and my egg inside the house and other in the garden seems to have had NOTHING hatch from them.

Since it's august now, does that mean nothing is going to happen at all now?

A bit more info is needed. ;) What species are we talking about here? And do you know when the ooths were laid? If you are talking about chinese mantid ooths that you picked up from a hardware store? Then yes! They should have hatched by now.

I guess they are chinese since they came from a hardware store.

Does this mean they will die, or simply hatch next year instead maybe?

I guess there's no return policy on them either, I don't remember reading that.

Well, how long have you had them incubating? Normally wild chinese ooths hatch in late Spring, early Summer. If kept in cold storage for longer periods of time. The ooths will yeild a lower hatch rate as time goes on. If these ooths are from last fall then i would say they either have already hatched, or they are duds. :(

Hmm, well I ordered these a few weeks ago, and they came within 48 hours.

I figured I was ordering them a bit late, but the company still shipped them so I guess there was hope.

The instructions said something like up to 8 weeks, but since it's not early spring anymore that is worrying me. I also read from other people who ordered the eggs that some of them had them hatching practically right from opening the box.

Still no luck, and to make things worse, I have cucumber beetles actually crawling right by one of the eggs!

Unbelievable the nerve...

Well I think it's time to accept the fact that both packages are gone... gone... gone. Total dud.

Now I wonder what time NEXT YEAR I should order these to finally get something to hatch.

Maybe I"ll set up a small aquarium to grow Mantids in on the inside as well, so I don't have to re-purchase every year.

Would you consider a couple Creobroter apicalis? I've got a "few"
laugh.gif
and could spare some if you'd like. Maybe I could throw in a chinese or two.
laugh.gif

If you would like? I could sell you an adult pair of chinese mantids. You could keep them, and breed them yourself. In this way, there will be no confusion, or wondering when the ooths were laid. It's up to you? Shoot me a PM if you are interested? :)

Latest posts