• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Too many melanogasters

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digipup

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I joined the forum not too long ago with a bunch of spare fruit flies and no mantids to feed them to (transaction fell through). I had originally planned on selling the flies, but I was offered a few Ghosts from the lovely MantisMonarch, so I kept the flies, whose cultures were nearing the ends of their lifespans.

In doing some poking around the forum, I discovered that apparently, the single most effective excelsior for fruit fly breeding is cotton balls. I had my doubts, but I was curious, so I used some of my flies to give it a try.

Uh... in short, it works. Way too well. I have hundreds of these things. If I turn the container over, the sound of all their little bodies falling to the lid is freakishly audible. I have a grand total of three mantid nymphs to feed, so rather than waste all that delicious wriggling yumptious, I've decided to see if I can't sell them, get back a bit of the money I've spent on this bug addiction I've got.  :innocent:

TL;DR, Here's the selling information:

Selling: D. Melanogaster flightless fruit fly cultures

Location: Southeast Michigan, United States. Can only ship to continental U.S.

Availability: Depends; if this turns out to be a lucrative operation, I'll keep breeding and selling flies. I think I've got about two or three to get rid of right now.

Price: $15 for one xoz. deli cup (including feeding medium, excelsior, and ~50 flies) + $15 shipping. I'm willing to haggle, but these things are expensive to ship. If you're in the area and want to pick them up locally, I'm up for it and there is no shipping charge (contact me privately to arrange this, obviously.)

Payment: Via PayPal only.

Guarantee:

- I can't predict when exactly you'll receive your flies, but I'll give you a tracking number for the package. I have a busy and somewhat unpredictable lifestyle right now, so it might take me a couple of days to get the package in the mail. However, if you need the flies ASAP, I'll make it my first priority to get them on their way.

- If something happens to them in the mail or they arrive damaged/all dead/escaped, I'll offer either a full refund or a replacement. 

- I have never had an issue with fruit fly mites, In fact, I keep the cultures indoors, so the chances of any kind of infestation are very slim, and I wont offer refunds on alleged mites.

If you want some flies, send me a private message with all the necessary information, and I'll be in touch!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts