too many problems molting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

londonmantid

Reaction score
Hi everyone

ive got five diferent sp breeding, all of them nimphs but one c gemmatus that is already an adult

i started with 23 mantids and still have 21 of them. those died for problems molting.

Apart from those two, another three had problems after molting as well although they seem to do pretty well (two of them with no tarsus in one of their back legs and the other without one of the front tarsus).

my question is if this is a too high percentage of molting problems (5 of 23).

im trying to be even more careful with the moisture just in case although i think i was doing rigth so far.

thanks

more heat to humidity ratio and a roof lid they can cling to easier

woo my first post!!! :p

All of them are Creobroter and Pseudocreobotra

the humidity and temperature are ok, and i check it everytime ive got the chance, couple of times a day

about the period of day/night ivent any artificial light so its the one now in London, arround 10 hours of light.

just asking to know if i should be worried about the percentage of "bad" molting so far (5 in 23 animals) or its a normal number of "casualties"

thanks Salomonis

5 of 23 is not good for either genera, those two rarely mismolt (I've bred both and reared up thousands on the former and a few hundred on the latter in the past). It may be your feeding regimen (if they aren't fed very often they mismolt more) or you may be using damp substrate or a number of things of course.

Hi there

thats what i thought, that maybe were too many mismolts

about the feeding i feed them like three or four times a week, fruit flies for L1 , L2, tiny crickets for L3 and small/medium cricket for the biggest.

Not using substrate at all

thanks for the post Orin

ill try to do my best with the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pseudocreobotra do mismolt during the first one or two molts if the humidity isn't high at that time.

Latest posts