Tortoise Hatching

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
Hey,

Thought I would share a couple of pics of one of my tort eggs hatching! I have 12, and 3 have now started to crack, but this lil one in particular is on his way out, finally :p

This was the egg just starting to crack

tort1.jpg

This was the lil chap almost out

tort.jpg

I will post some more pix when the rest have fully hatched, and all will be for sale in the UK in a few months!

Cheers,

Ian

just out of interest what species are they?

Well done!! and congratulation! I'd love to breed my redfoot torts at the moment, but they are too young :-(

I think they are spur thighed. We got given the eggs by this pensioner living my one of my dads mates. She has like, 12 adult torts, and gets about 12 clutches a year, and we can have every clutch! Not bad really, considering each grown on ababy can fetch £100. We will also keep some back for lawn trimming :lol:

Cheers,

Ian

Great pics. You probably know but remember not to sell them without paperwork to say they're captive bred, rspca etc are always around when they get wind of someone selling tortoises and they love to catch people without the papers...

Dave

Cool, in that case let me know when you've got all required stuff :wink:

Dave

Ah cool Ian, I've never had a tortoise but my mum wants one :shock: Let me know how they get on!

Regards,

Sam

We keep Spur Thighed, they are more likely to dig holes in your yard, tear up anything they can reach, eat all the flowers and rocks instead of being proper lawnmowers, but we all have our fantasies. Watch your toes, they are quite fond of biting them.

DSCN0753.JPG

DSCN0729.JPG

DSCN1349.JPG

Nice Ian!! I would really like to visit your "zoo" one day :D

How old can this tortoise go? That was like watching a T-rex egg hatch in Jurrasic Park! :shock:

Came back from going bowling, and 2 more had hatched! Here are pix of all three of the lil cuties :

tort2.jpg

tort3.jpg

tort4.jpg

Yeah, I will let you know dave, no doubt I will have trouble in the process though, lol.

Zoo, slightly exagerting yen, lol, maybe I should open it up as a tourist attraction :p I am not to sure how long they go on for, I think it really does depend on their health. I think I am right in saying that they can exceed 100 years. So if I keep any of these babbys, they will be seeing me off, LOL

Cheers,

Ian

I currently make weekly visits to an elderly lady who has an 83 year old spur thighed male. He needs treatment for his eyes, but other than that he's very healthy considering his age. The lady made a joke that she'll have to donate him to me soon because she won't last as long as him.

Dave

Great pics! Turtles are one of my favs. Currently I have an eastern box turtle. When I get a house I plan on getting some tortoises.

I use to have a Box turtle...but it died a couple of years later when I bought it :cry:

They have specific needs that must be met. Lighting, temperature, humidity etc etc

lol dave, I bet you sure laughed at that joke :p Yeah, they are great rick. Can you house them perm outside in the US?Cheers,

Ian
In some areas you can. For instance my box turtle is native to a large area of the US. He is captive bred though. Some people do keep tortoises outdoors at least in the warm months.

yeah, now, when you say turtle, is that as in, a turtle, or a tortoise? As I know in different countries they are called turtles. Many eayrs ago so many peopel in the UK used to keep tortoises outside, and just bring them in to hibernate. But I think that is unheard of now, nearly all are housed indoors.

Cheers,

Ian

Well I know people who keep turtles and tortoises outdoors. My box turlte is called a turtle however they do live on land and look like small tortoises.

Latest posts