Total Lunar Eclipse 2010 Winter Solstice (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
This was my view of the eclipse here on the east coast set to my song 'Luna, My Love'.

Looks much like the one in 2003. I thought about bringing out the 8" dob, but ended up not doing it.

Looks much like the one in 2003. I thought about bringing out the 8" dob, but ended up not doing it.
This was my first eclipse EVER. Just never went through the trouble before. Mainly because I was always working a job that required I be there by 6 am. Considering the historic nature of this one falling on the solstice I had to do it this time.

Cool, didn't find out about it till it was over. Plus it was pouring rain, so I wasn't about to go outside anyways.

That is some very nice footage! up till 7:30 am OUCH :blink:

Thanks for sharing it with us. now get some sleep...

This was my first eclipse EVER. Just never went through the trouble before. Mainly because I was always working a job that required I be there by 6 am. Considering the historic nature of this one falling on the solstice I had to do it this time.
I now wish I had watched it. Spaceweather said repeat of 03 so I figured I wasn't missing anything.

I now wish I had watched it. Spaceweather said repeat of 03 so I figured I wasn't missing anything.
You didn't miss anything if you saw the one in '03. I saw both, and the one in '03 was much more rapid. And in my opinion staring at the moon for 5-10 min is alot more comfortable than staring at the moon for however long it lasted this time! It was still really cool, I went out to look every 15-20 min, but definitely not as cool as '03.

Happy New Year Everybody!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video! Was it made from stills?

I missed this last one since I was traveling and it was overcast. This is from 2007:

1267434705_c144ccdb66.jpg

Nice video! Was it made from stills?

I missed this last one since I was traveling and it was overcast. This is from 2007:
Wow! I like your composite pic.

Mine was made from video. I recorded the whole thing. Missed a short section because I had to download to my PC to free up space on the card. I had to adjust the frame every 10 or 15 minutes as the moon traveled across the sky. I had it on a tripod so I have no idea why it moves jerks around at points. Must have been the autofocus or something.

Thanks! :)

It's hard to keep a tripod perfectly stable for such a long time. Could be the floor, or even just from walking by the rig. What video camera were you using?

Thanks! :)

It's hard to keep a tripod perfectly stable for such a long time. Could be the floor, or even just from walking by the rig. What video camera were you using?
Canon Vixia HF200 - Great camcorder. Shoots full 1080p. I got a refurbished unit for $400.

I actually had the tripod out a window on its side laying on my roof. Maybe that's why it wasn't exactly stable. :lol:

Sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do...