toxodera sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mantid hobby reminds me in many ways of the early days of dart frog keeping. It used to be that sterility and simplicity were considered absolutely necessary, enclosures were generally built with a base of aquarium gravel and used plastic plants and frequently broken down and sterilized. There was an irrational fear of parasites and bacteria which were typically blamed for losses. Most did poorly under such conditions and they quickly gained a reputation for difficulty that still persists.

Advancements in vivarium design and the culture of various microfauna species have allowed the easier species to absolutely thrive in captivity, and even the more difficult species like the various eggfeeders are now within reach of the intermediate hobbyist. I really believe that the key to some of the more difficult mantid species will be found in the miniature ecosystem approach of naturalistic vivaria.

I Know People Who Kept Them, While They Are Very Neat Looking They Said They Are Very Fragile Species. Thats Why There Appearance Is So Camoflauged, They Have Little Defence Among Predators, They Also Didnt Do Good In Captivity. I Wouldnt Want To Own ONe. Too Much Trouble, Lol. Pressure Has Nothing To Do With It, The Problem They Had Was Mimmicing There Habitat. And Breeding.

I Know People Who Kept Them, While They Are Very Neat Looking They Said They Are Very Fragile Species. Thats Why There Appearance Is So Camoflauged, They Have Little Defence Among Predators, They Also Didnt Do Good In Captivity. I Wouldnt Want To Own ONe. Too Much Trouble, Lol. Pressure Has Nothing To Do With It, The Problem They Had Was Mimmicing There Habitat. And Breeding.
Sounds like a living vivarium issue.. Tony is correct, advancments in this hobby are needed I see so many people just say it cant be done, I would like to personally give it a go one day.

Iam working on a live viv right now. They are so simple to make and look so much better and are stackable. Never knew there was something better than an idolo. :)

i was just reading from many previous toxo threads and discussions, all mentioning pressurized vivs. i always thought it was a silly idea, but the only explanation available. I had no idea other members knew what toxo ooths looked like. i'd sure love to see what one looks like!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something a crazy person might do. Plus, it seems like you have a Lamarckian view of how Evolution works.
That was mentioned in multiple threads (breeding them down altitude). Like i said in the previous post all i know about them is what was mentioned in previous threads on various sites and some other sources.

Personally i wouldn't do that! That'd be crazy!

I have two dead ones as well. T. maculata is the larger and P. cornicollis is the smaller

P. cornicollis

6xqEu0k.jpg

T. maculata in comparison

5Iyx5JN.jpg

Naturalistic vivaria are used already in Europe for mantids (not for all, depending on species). Aside from legal issues, that is the reason why there are more difficult species in culture here. Deli-cups and the like are just not enough for some species.

Christian- I couldn't agree more. Even the USA spider hobby has started utilizing more naturalistic vivaria to a large extent.

To me, keeping a mantis in a deli cup seems pretty lame, and really feeds the feeling that people have "Pokemon syndrome" where they would rather have more species, regardless of care etc, than work with a few species and provide much better care for them

Naturalistic vivaria are used already in Europe for mantids (not for all, depending on species). Aside from legal issues, that is the reason why there are more difficult species in culture here. Deli-cups and the like are just not enough for some species.
I agree, and in the US hobby there seems to be a "bare minimal" mind set to keep them going. I just dont know if leading by example is even enough to change this here.

Pokemon syndrome... :lol: that's good...
It seems to happen A LOT here. Gotta have the newest, most coveted species, for apparently not much more than bragging rights. In the dart frog hobby we see this all the time, and once common species become very rare because people lose interest with what everyone else already has. There seems to be the notion that a once treasured animal is somehow much less valuable once everyone has it.

Your time is better spent elsewhere than trying to keep toxodera. unless of course your house has a pickable lock, no alarm system, and you are away for long periods of time. then by all means continue. :ninja:

Pokemon syndrome... :lol: that's good...
toxodera, use die! It's super effective!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it funny that we have so many yet people seem to think we should keep all mantis. Why not just leave them alone. Cause idk after the first how many tries and they died. Why not put the msntis health over wanting to collect one?

It seems to happen A LOT here. Gotta have the newest, most coveted species, for apparently not much more than bragging rights. In the dart frog hobby we see this all the time, and once common species become very rare because people lose interest with what everyone else already has. There seems to be the notion that a once treasured animal is somehow much less valuable once everyone has it.

I find it funny that we have so many yet people seem to think we should keep all mantis. Why not just leave them alone. Cause idk after the first how many tries and they died. Why not put the msntis health over wanting to collect one?
To Christan: I use kind of a hybrid for naturalistic vivaria. Basically deli cups are used as a lot of mantis babies are really small. 

frogparty: That does happen a lot, sadly... 

Jessie: Well its kind of a bit of a "Moses" ark kind of thing, where we are unknowingly in the process saving up species. I will say that there are sadly sacrifices for the greater good if it applies to mantis keeping. 

Latest posts