Transfering fruit flies!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desana

Reaction score
Whats the most common method for transfering fruit flies from the tub to the deli pots with the mantids in. Ive read ya put flies in the fridge to slow them down. But arnt fruit flies a bit small for this method. Isnt it best just to use a pooter. If ya dont use a pooter what method do u use thanks.........( i know if your feeding a few nymphs at L1 stage just tap a few flies in with them this question is about feeding mantids that have been seperated............Thanks...........

funnel in the mantis cup hole ... tap tap tap the fly culture cups .... mantis fed ;- )

i eopen my deli cup and tap my flightless frute fly in to a ice cream tub..i then scooop them up using a tube with screw on lid..after i have half a tube in there i go around opening the lid and tapping out 3 or 4 at one time.works great,

i dont like the idear of pooters..lots of spores in the cutures..i dont want to inhale spores..i just dont like using pooters..a freind gave me one i didnt get on with it

:blink: Don't like the sound of it "pooter" What is it?
2276456045_7660f1f2ff_o.jpg

Funneling them into a rinsed out 20 oz soda bottle works great... then just tap them out into the mantis enclosures.

I recently found a cool way to keep from having problems with transferring flies. It's basically a spice tube like what Rebecca sells on her site. It has a large opening and a sprinkle opening and the flies just climb out either way and a tap and they are in. I just put a apple bit in the bottom for them to feed on and so far so good. Found it just sitting in the back of my kitchen cabinet with tooth picks in it!!! Not any more!!! Just fill it with the desired amount and all you have to do is sprinkle or pour!!!! ;)