Traps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Dane

Reaction score
Taking advantage of the peak of Summer, I’ve been trying to catch as many bugs for my Mantids as possible. 

Anyone know of effective fly, moth, etc traps?

Hang a white sheet outside at night, and put a large light behind it, shining on the sheet. Moths will flock to the sheet and all you must do is pick them off the sheet by the wing, and drop it into a mantis cage. Good luck!

- MantisGirl13

Did it work? Think I will catch a lot of moths or so on our next camping trip. With a light to read or playing card games outside a lots of insects comes.

it certainly makes it easier to catch moths because they are attracted to light :)

- MantisGirl13

I have had great success with a simple flytrap made out of a soda bottle.
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Fly-Trap
The above is the basic idea but I used a 2 liter bottle. I also cut the bottom off, attached mesh to the bottom of the top part (or just 'sleeve' the top with some pantyhose) then used duct tape to create a lip to place the top into the bottom again. I also put a small hole on the side and plugged it with foam to allow me to get the flies out. This way you can put your bait in the bottom area but the flies can´t actually get to it. Then you just remove the top and toss it in the fridge to knock out the flies, no mess, no fuss.  

My dog is more then happy to provide me with bait on our daily walks. I just put the bag with the 'bait' in it right in the bottom and change it out every day or two to keep it mostly not disgusting. I find that using doggie doo is far less gross then straight up leaving meat to rot so long as it does not get flooded with water. I tend to leave the trap near my garbage/compost and get tons.

I will try to upload a picture tonight in case that was as clear as mud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts