tricky situation with enclosure lid and egg sac

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidFan760

Reaction score
hi all! so my Twig Mantis it seems has put an egg sac at the top of the lid of it's enclosure, completely blocking it from being opened. So I can't feed it which is the first problem since i can't open the lid. Secondly, I would really like to preserve the egg pouch but it's going to have to be removed for the lid to function again. Can it be removed and placed in a better place without compromising the pouch? I included some pics of where it is so you have a clear understanding. I may have went a little overboard on the pics and labeling, lol, but anyway take a look...

anyway, please let me know if and how i can remove the pouch and keep it safe... thanks!

IMG00263-20110904-2025.jpg

IMG00271-20110904-2027.jpg

IMG00272-20110904-2027.jpg

IMG00273-20110904-2027.jpg

IMG00275-20110904-2028.jpg

IMG00335-20110321-1218.jpg

IMG00356-20110324-1828.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Let it dry good for a few days and let 'er rip.
laugh.gif
Seriously. Let it dry good and you might be able to pop it off just by pushing on the screen. If not, at least it will weaken the bond to make opening easier. It should pop right off if good and dry.

I will do that. Once i have it removed, what is the ideal storage location/conditions for it? Approx. how long do they take to hatch and how many little twigs might come out of it? Thanks!

I have two suggestions, one is cut a small hole in the screen that can be blocked up with a piece of foam that will enable you to feed them without opening the lid ever(and is how many of us do it, depending on the enclosure) second is to let the ooth dry a few days and then wet all the places that the ooth touch's the screen with your finger very well, wait 5 minutes and try to pop it off gently.

Since ive had her no. I got her from a pet/reptile store in san diego, ca. Before that day who knows. So she would lay those even if not fertile and they'd be useless (mom being oblivious to that fact tho)?

Latest posts