Trimming wings for mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my H. majuscula females had a terrible molt and her wings are left badly mangled and I suspect she won't be able to mate. Even though I have several other females, I still want to attempt to breed this female.

Question : Has anyone ever trimmed the wings of a female to make mounting and penetration easier for the male. 

Question : Has anyone ever trimmed the wings of a female to make mounting and penetration easier for the male. 
Yes. I recently had to cut back an orchid's wing, otherwise there was zero way the male could gain access.

You've gotta be quick. You'll have no more than a couple of minutes.... Don't cut into her naughty bits. LOL!

Credit for instruction: Ian A Hunter of Mantis Keepers.

• I chilled her in the freezer for 90 secs. Quite the stunner, I tell ya.
  • I lightly swabbed down the 'site' with hydrogen peroxide.
  • I made my cuts using sterile SST surgical scissors.
  • Quick dab at the incision site with peroxide.
  • Let her come to.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MantisKeepers/permalink/2456977631189702/

Has she mated? Yes. Three times now.

Has she produced? No, she hasn't produced yet. I am again re configuring her pad. Shes a sketchy one (was to begin with).

Upon closer inspection, I this she might be a goner. Her wings are very crumpled and pulled down on both sides of her abdomen. I also noticed that she has lost use of one of her raptorials... it's folded up and tucked tightly under her "armpit" (for lack of the proper term 😀). I'll handfeed her for a few days and see what happens. It almost looks like she would have a better chance without the tucked raptorial... removing it would probably finish her off though. I don't believe she'll be able to use the other the way it is obstructed. I'll try to keep her alive and hopefully (🤞) have a chance to mate her. Poor thing. I have a whole batch almost ready to mate... the males are patiently waiting. 😔

Thanks for the info. I quit Facebook a couple of years ago, but I can still read some of the posts. 👍

Upon closer inspection, I this she might be a goner. Her wings are very crumpled and pulled down on both sides of her abdomen. I also noticed that she has lost use of one of her raptorials... it's folded up and tucked tightly under her "armpit" (for lack of the proper term 😀). I'll handfeed her for a few days and see what happens. It almost looks like she would have a better chance without the tucked raptorial... removing it would probably finish her off though. I don't believe she'll be able to use the other the way it is obstructed. I'll try to keep her alive and hopefully (🤞) have a chance to mate her. Poor thing. I have a whole batch almost ready to mate... the males are patiently waiting. 😔

Thanks for the info. I quit Facebook a couple of years ago, but I can still read some of the posts. 👍
Sorry to hear that, here’s hoping she recovers swiftly and well

Latest posts