Tropidomantis ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinchang635

Reaction score
I found a tropidomantis ooth and removed it from the wall.How do I stick it to a container?Can we use glue?What do tropidomantis nymphs eat?Thanks!

you can stick it to stuff using hot glue, but i like to make sure to wait a few seconds for the glue to cool down before touching it onto the ootheca. i think thats the best way, sometimes people thread some string through and tie them up but this species' ootheca is a bit too small for that. so i would say hot glue. the nymphs are too small for any fruit flies. search the forum for tropidomantis and you will find a thread that may help you (started by cindy).

Hot glue, super glue, white glue...all will work and are unlikely to harm your mantises. The biggest danger might be fumes from the glue accumulating in a container and turning it into a mantis nymph gas chamber. If the old pros advise non-toxic hot glue, try to use that in the future but don't worry about it in the meanwhile. BTW, I usually use a needle and thread, just piercing the papery part of the ooth and hanging it up by that.

i normally pierce a very fine entomological pin used for pinning insects through the anterior/rostral (front) end of the ootheca against the top of a plastic lid, which allows the ootheca's dorsal side (the side which the ootheca hatches from) hanging towards the substrate/ground.

hope that makes sense :unsure:

i normally pierce a very fine entomological pin used for pinning insects through the anterior/rostral (front) end of the ootheca against the top of a plastic lid, which allows the ootheca's dorsal side (the side which the ootheca hatches from) hanging towards the substrate/ground. hope that makes sense :unsure:
this would work for most ooths but with tropidomantis ones theres not much to work with if you know what i mean.

i normally pierce a very fine entomological pin used for pinning insects through the anterior/rostral (front) end of the ootheca against the top of a plastic lid, which allows the ootheca's dorsal side (the side which the ootheca hatches from) hanging towards the substrate/ground. hope that makes sense :unsure:
Tropidomantid ooths are too small to do that.

Latest posts