twigs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richybwa

Reaction score
Hello all, I used the search feature and can't find a comprehensive answer to my query. Just a quick question about twigs or sticks from outside that i can keep with my mantid, should they be dead first and are any particular plants better/worse?

cheers Richy

I use all kinds, dead and live. I havent found any problems with either as long as they are clean, some people micro them to kill anything on them, but I don't, just watch for mold and replace if that happens.

I also use sticks and twigs from outside. There has been no ill effect toward my mantids from colecting sticks and twigs that are alive or dead. One time i did have a few wood wasps emerge from one of the dried sticks. I thought hay, an added mantid food bonus!

I also use sticks and twigs from outside. There has been no ill effect toward my mantids from colecting sticks and twigs that are alive or dead. One time i did have a few wood wasps emerge from one of the dried sticks. I thought hay, an added mantid food bonus!
Me, too. Since you live in conifer country, though, and spring is coming, beware of fresh branches exuding sap, or your mantis might end up as a rare specimen trapped in amber! :D

During some colder days I brought some twigs form the nearby woods, and after placing one in the enclosure, some ants sprung out of it!

I use a lot of twigs, and I have some really cool ones - they don't lose leaves during winter, and are perfect for my Gongylus, because they really seem to imitate their natural habitat, and abundant and strong leaves provide a lot of perching places and so on.

Live plants are great for mantids that like humid conditions, the only problem is that some plants grow a bit too fast, and you have to remove excess branches, or else there might be a space issue, where your mantids won't be able to find good and safe places to molt.

I try to use branches from fruit trees. I noticed many bird perch manufacturers use them...so I thought it would be a good idea to avoid sap and toxins. I also use birch, since I don't always want to be clipping from the fruit trees. Definitely avoid my ficus which has a milky sap.

The only pest I'd watch out for are termites...soldiers could hurt a mantis.

I just pull branches, or more like branchlets or twigs, off the live tree outside in the courtyard, and they work fine. I leave the leaves on, but end up getting rid of some of the leaves after they die.

Mold can form between leaves where they touch.

Latest posts