Twisted Grasping Leg

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisFan

Reaction score
So today I hear a continuous tapping sound. Its my female spurca trying to grab a feeder but she kept missing it. Her left grasping leg has twisted by like 90 degrees. So instead of being out in front its twisted out to the left. Reminds me of MBD in reptiles. She still can open and close it but it's rendered useless. She hasn't eaten because she only has use of one grasping leg and keeps missing her target. Anybody ever hear or see this? Probably a molting issue but she molted last week I believe. I just now noticed it and she has eaten since the molt. Can I expect it to be corrected next molt? I can't find any related info.

It's the left leg. You can see how it's at a different angle than the right. You can see how the "line" on the right leg is straight and the left is twisted. It's like the "elbow" is turned in.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

looks like your mantis failed to stretch herself out properly after completing her moult, and the limb hardened in that position. From what I know, this is usually due to a lack of space (some obstacle kept her arm in that position), but sometimes instinct fails them and they don't do what's best for themselves. The limb looks perfect except for the twisted coxa, so if she isn't an adult already the issue will most likely be rectified by the next moult...

Meanwhile you could help her along a bit, maybe give her slower-moving or crippled prey. I know most mantids with one arm have no issue catching food, but i think yours is going to be pretty confused for the time being cuz she'll be wondering why her left forelimb doesn't work properly :)

looks like your mantis failed to stretch herself out properly after completing her moult, and the limb hardened in that position. From what I know, this is usually due to a lack of space (some obstacle kept her arm in that position), but sometimes instinct fails them and they don't do what's best for themselves. The limb looks perfect except for the twisted coxa, so if she isn't an adult already the issue will most likely be rectified by the next moult...

Meanwhile you could help her along a bit, maybe give her slower-moving or crippled prey. I know most mantids with one arm have no issue catching food, but i think yours is going to be pretty confused for the time being cuz she'll be wondering why her left forelimb doesn't work properly :)
O crud. O.k. thanks, I just took out some twigs. Thank you for the reply and helpful information.

Try to hand feed to the good arm for a little while so she starts useing that one more, I've had a few one armed mantis a they worked it out and got better and better at catching with the one raptor. ;)

Latest posts