Two week old nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo

Reaction score
Okay so I know my violins require something that flies.

I feel as if fruit flies are to small. Will my Violins be able to notice or catch these tiny morsels?

Is there a fly that is bigger then fruit flies but small enough for my Violins to take down?

Or will spending like, 20 bucks for fruit flies be reasonable? And not just last them before next molt?

mantids006.jpg

Try D.hydei, those are bigger then D. melanogaster. Hydei have a bit longer lifecycle also. My gongys eats everything that moves like a fly, no matter the size. They are about L4 now and take down house-, bb and greenbotles without any problems. Houseflies are a bit small for them now but they catch hunt them crazy! :D If I have some time and out of flies they can eat small roaches too, I just have to imitate they are flying - wits a pincer. :D

Try to catch some wild food for them, maybe it can be good too.

Hope it helps.

Cheers! :D

Fruit flies for L1 and L2.

House Flies for the next 3 instars, unless you feel ready to switch to Blue Bottles.

The all you'll need are Blue Bottles til death do you part.

:)

Have you tried to get the wild fruit flies? You can get them easily by using the deli cups with the mesh lids, usually they get in thru the holes, and don't get out as easy.

Have you tried to get the wild fruit flies? You can get them easily by using the deli cups with the mesh lids, usually they get in thru the holes, and don't get out as easy.
They don't ship to Canada either and my nymphs can't live off jam :(

I'll try pinheads again even though they're so tiny

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't ship to Canada either and my nymphs can't live off jam :(

I'll try pinheads again even though they're so tiny
I think she means to trap the wild fruit flies that may be around. A mushy banana usually makes a pretty good bait for me.