Type of water for mantids and others? ( tap/spring/bottled/filtered/reverse osmosis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
I wanted to ask what water does everyone use for their pet mantids and other pets? Such as tap water, bottled water, spring water, filtered water, reverse osmosis, or other.

I would prefer everyone list why they use the water variety they do, and a link to the article/comment they used for their decision if there was one.

I know most avoid tap water due to possible impurities, while never testing their water. Many also assume the best is the filtered/reverse osmosis water; however, many articles claim the purer the water the more harm it causes to some exotic pets. Like everything, there are articles that claim each variety is better than the others though. ;)

I've used all the water varieties now with my mantids and pets through the years, and never confirmed a problem with any tap/spring/bottled/filtered/reverse osmosis water. So I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. If anyone had a problem with a specific variety that would be useful knowledge.

One of the best articles I found on the water topic with details, and tends to be neutral about the selection, is this article - while aimed at amphibian keepers water is water.

Filtered water here  (zero water). Started using for killiefish and tap water problems in Atlanta area.  Not sure it is needed for Mantis but no water spots to clean.   

I use aged aquarium water. Very cheap as I own a 20 gallon aquarium. All mantids are doing well.
Are you referring to aging tap water for the chlorine to dissipate, or truly water removed from a dirty aquarium with wildlife/fish/turtles/whatever? ;)

Filtered water here  (zero water). Started using for killiefish and tap water problems in Atlanta area.  Not sure it is needed for Mantis but no water spots to clean.   
No water spots is a major plus for any photography too, and was the first reason I changed to the flitered/RO water myself. :)

Plain ole tap water. It's good enough for me it is good enough for my pets. I do sometimes use distilled just to avoid scaling on the glass. 

Plain ole tap water. It's good enough for me it is good enough for my pets. I do sometimes use distilled just to avoid scaling on the glass. 
Some good points. :) It is always nice to keep the glass clean for viewing or photography.

Sounds kind of gross, but I'm referring to water removed from an aquarium (that is filtered and clean and stuff).
Well that is definitely a other water variety. ;) With no smell it would be a handy way to dispose of the water from water changes and such. Interesting enough, if you use springtails or isopods for cleaning in your mantid habitats, the water would be beneficial to them as well. Heck it would be in a springtail culture too for a additional food source. :)

I have one of those filter things on my kitchen faucet in my current home. In the past I had well water we tested periodically to make sure it was safe for my family and pets.

I have one of those filter things on my kitchen faucet in my current home. In the past I had well water we tested periodically to make sure it was safe for my family and pets.
Nice, sounds like you have ran the gauntlet a bit with water too. I've never used well water for mantids, but use to drink it all the time at my grandparents as a kid and miss that (some of the best water I've ever had). ;)

Latest posts