Uh oh!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrayingMantisPets

Reaction score
So a friend of mine sent me a infertile ooth a while back. It was a Christmas gift back in 2014. Today i got back home to 4 little mantises running around. And i know for a fact it was from that ooth. I also know that it is a Iris oratoria ootheca.

Does anyone know the common hatching number of this species?

What do i do?! :eek:

It's pretty common, of the Iris oratoria species, for the ooths to hatch without being fertile through parthenogenic. Seems the common hatch rate is about 50, and if you found 4 you have a few more to find. ;)

You need to round them up and put them in a container, a plastic tote with sticks to climb on is a fair start. Petco has fruit flies for your babies and find a mister so you can sprits them to give them water. New only, nothing that had cleaning chemicals in it.

They hatch in waves, so it's likely those four you found were the only ones to hatch so far. And in my experience, unfertilized ooths have a lower hatch rate than fertilized.

Does anyone know a good price for them? Im guessing $2 each? I want it to be a fair price.

(This is not a for sale post)

Yes, they hatch in waves. In my experience the ooth usually hatches daily a few nymphs for about a week, and yes there will not be as many clones as if the ooth was fertilized. The ooth could also have a second hatching a few months later. I just took an iris oratoria ooth inside today. It finished its first hatching about a month ago. I didn't think it would resume hatching inside, but I just found 4 new nymphs running around.

I'm really confused as to why they hatch when they do.

Anyway, Congrats! They are a really sweet species!