Uhm, hi?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArtisticArachnid

Reaction score
Hey there, everyone! I just joined this website a few days ago out of a recommendation from a friend. I've just recently become interested in praying mantises and I would absolutely love to have a few as pets. I'm experienced with other creatures, like tarantulas and spiders and what not. I've always been a fan of praying mantises but not until recently have I looked into owning one as a pet.

I'm a young canadian female, and I was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers? Any handy tips on what I should and shouldn't do with new praying mantises?

I'm also wondering if there's any species of praying mantis that's lifespan is longer than a year? In order to get into praying mantises, I need to find at least a few species of mantis that last longer than a year, to help convince my mother to let me get one.

Any helpful tips, hints, or interesting facts about these bugs would be highly appreciated!

There are a few people here that claim they have gotten the better of 18 months with some of their mantids. If you come across a post someone made claiming that, find out what they had. As for pointers, like anything, do your research before buying. Know what atmosphere you need to keep/replicate... know what you need to feed a certain species (some species do not take well to ground dwelling food, some don't care, etc.) Know what you want, for example, I love them, but I was only really interested in the larger breeds... some people only like the more rare breeds and so on. so know what you want. A lot of this is trial and error, but coming here is a good resource because most of these guys/gals already took the error out of the trial for you. :) what species are you interested in?

There are a few people here that claim they have gotten the better of 18 months with some of their mantids. If you come across a post someone made claiming that, find out what they had. As for pointers, like anything, do your research before buying. Know what atmosphere you need to keep/replicate... know what you need to feed a certain species (some species do not take well to ground dwelling food, some don't care, etc.) Know what you want, for example, I love them, but I was only really interested in the larger breeds... some people only like the more rare breeds and so on. so know what you want. A lot of this is trial and error, but coming here is a good resource because most of these guys/gals already took the error out of the trial for you. :) what species are you interested in?
I'm interested in anything really, I just love how bizarre and unique praying mantises are. I'm still looking into several different species, but as for right now the ghost mantis looks pretty enticing.

I'm slowly starting to realize how good it was to come here, actually! A lot of this site's members have useful information that will help me in deciding which praying mantids I want! Hopefully I'll be able to find a relatively long lasting species and become even more interested in these creatures.

A breeder who lives near me locally and usually specializes in tarantulas also occasionally sells praying mantises. He's talked about a praying mantis called the double shielded Madagascan praying mantis? As well as the African twig praying mantis and others that I can't remember the names of. Is there any information you could tell me on those ones? Like if they're good for beginners and whatnot?

I know the african twigs are easy to find info on, 'cause a lot of people here love them (not my thing) one thing to think about when replicating an environment is, it's called an african twig mantis. so i don't know about you, but i immediately thing HOT and either really dry or really humid (no happy medium). If the idea of keeping those environments doesn't scare you (which you say you have raised other creatures in the past, so i doubt it will be a problem) then just do your research and make a decision.

Ive heard B. Mendicas and shield mantids are generally long lived. You can try those out. But good beginner mantids are those that are fairly large and eat well, like Hierodula majuscula, sphodromantis, ghosts, etc. You should start with the easier ones so you can diagnose problems and get more difficult species later ;)

I know the african twigs are easy to find info on, 'cause a lot of people here love them (not my thing) one thing to think about when replicating an environment is, it's called an african twig mantis. so i don't know about you, but i immediately thing HOT and either really dry or really humid (no happy medium). If the idea of keeping those environments doesn't scare you (which you say you have raised other creatures in the past, so i doubt it will be a problem) then just do your research and make a decision.
So, theoretically thinking, if I were to purchase an african twig praying mantis, would I be able to maintain an exceptable living environment if I were to include a heat pad or heating lamp in with it's enclosure, and keep up levels of humidity by misting once or twice every day?

Also, I'm curious, what exactly are your prefered species for praying mantises?

Ive heard B. Mendicas and shield mantids are generally long lived. You can try those out. But good beginner mantids are those that are fairly large and eat well, like Hierodula majuscula, sphodromantis, ghosts, etc. You should start with the easier ones so you can diagnose problems and get more difficult species later ;)
Thank you for the suggestions! I have them written down and I'll be sure to do my research on each one individually. You're very helpful, thank you. :turned:

Wow, thanks everybody for all the warm welcomes! I can see this site has plenty of friendly members who are willing to help. I think I'll definitly stick around.

Latest posts