ultimate mantid terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoxa

Reaction score
this is open for people that want to tell about their dream mantid terrariums or ones that they have......

mine:

25 gallons

tropical theme with bromeliads and philodendran with other tropical plants...

a small exo terra waterfall...

some drift wood

and a trio of idolos

I got my 5 ghosts in a rather bug flexarium with a thick layer of co co fibre at the bottom and sphagnum at the back with a (dead) fern planted next to it on the floor, there are loads of different types of twigs and branches everywere with a fake plant dangaling and also a bunch of fake ferns dangaling fomr the ceiling

well it's not going to be a 25 gallon it's only going to be a 10 but i am getting 5 idolos... l2's though... umm in the cage i'lll probly be putting a couple pairs of ghosts.... i'll send pics when i get it set up

I got a couple of tanks used as habitat for my mantids. I am customizing it and would like to show it to whoever would like to see. I will post up images if majority votes YES in POLL above. A brief description of my tanks.

Tank 1: Rectangular in shape, made of glass and have top cover. I haven't completed this tank yet but looks nice so far. I will be adding white or blue possible mix with both white & blue sand. Already occupied in the front left hand corner is a Venus Flytrap plant. On the side of the tank (i'm placing the tanks orientation horizontal.) I am making a custom pot that is compact and save space which will be holding an orchid flower plant. And lastly I will occupy the rear right corner for a Bonsai tree. and I will wall paper the rear & right glass (maybe on the left glass too.) with mesh.

Tank 2: This one will be used for a battle arena. Almost Just like what they use in Ultimate Fighting Champion Ship! A Blue vertical Hexegon transparent acrylic I already added white sand. I also added mesh to the rear glass and a 2" tall mesh around the top of the hexegon so mantids can hand AROUND! (hahahha get it). This tank also came with a light harness for the tank. it was almost 30 bucks. The Tank #1 was cheaper. One will be used for baby mantids. And the other will be for adults. One will be used for breeding and one will be used for nursery. Both will look AWESOME!

It's not completely done at the moment. But I will have it done soon.

So interested or not please vote and I will go with the crowd.

I enjoy fancy cages but in reality unless you're only going to keep a few they are best kept in small, often boring containers.

Preach it Rick lol
It's true. However I do have a sizeable greenhouse in my mantis room that contains a bunch of h. mems that are starting to mature into adult. I find it hard to keep them well fed in such a big enclosure.

No canibals? I'm going to breed them soon from a male from you.
Were some but it's big enough that they don't come into contact much from what I can tell.

My ultimate dream mantid mansion would be one of those clear acrylic whatsits with the door on one side, and a nice meshy window/wall on the lid. somewhere on one of the walls there will be a small hole that can have a lid latched over it, for poking food bugs through. Not entirely sure about size, or shape, that can be worked out at the time.

Have gotten quite a few good ideas from various other people in various other threads.

Thanks guys!

net cage is ideal for me.easy to clean dont need medium on floor..lots of ventilation..only down side it dont hold humidity very well but i mist every day so it dont matter.

euhm... well my room is is the terrarium(giant asians and some HUGE phasmids)... bud 4 the others i use plastic standard terrarium(mantids then, phasmids are in large glass terrarium)

I have a 25 gallon terrarium for some of my smaller lowland nepenthes that i have been keeping some of my mantids in! The bottom is a carpet U. livida...with Some D. lobata or P. ocellata, it looks really cool! :) :p ;)

I have to post pics sometime! :D

I have a 25 gallon terrarium for some of my smaller lowland nepenthes that i have been keeping some of my mantids in! The bottom is a carpet U. livida...with Some D. lobata or P. ocellata, it looks really cool! :) :p ;) I have to post pics sometime! :D
Frankie, you keep ur mantids in with ur neps?! nep are made to CATCH AND EAT BUGS MATE :p any casualties?

Adam,

Oh right-no! I put a cotton ball in the bigger pitchers, and the smaller ones aren't a threat (on seedlings/yearlings). Sometimes the mantids will drink some of the nep nectar, and get a little woozy! But thats about it...

A bit of fantasy here and there and a vivarium can look pretty cool - even a small plastic one - with some twigs, dried out plants and flowers it can be actually quite eye-pleasing. I'm really satisfied with my Idolomorpha lateralis enclosure - they look just wonderful when stacked with grey twigs, yellow and purple flowers and Rhododendron branches - they seem to enjoy staying in their sweet-spot places and do not get in each other's way.

Latest posts