ultimate mantid terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam,Oh right-no! I put a cotton ball in the bigger pitchers, and the smaller ones aren't a threat (on seedlings/yearlings). Sometimes the mantids will drink some of the nep nectar, and get a little woozy! But thats about it...
lol drunk mantids? thats somethin i gotta see lol. I wonder tho, does the actual nectar haveany effect on the bugs that you noticed other than the drunkenness?

My dream cage would be a walk in size all screen cage about the size of an average room. It would have a variety of live plants beautiful little stone walkway, and even a little water feature. Or course I realize there are some major flaws in that plan, like actually finding my mantis again after releasing it in said cage. :huh:

I've discovered my version of the best cage is not my Chinese Mantises ideal cage. All they want from me is some nice screen cages that are easy to cling to. They don't care about any of the plants, sticks, or other accessories I add. All they want is their wall to wall screen and they are more than happy. When I had my first mantis, I got my dad to make me a custom built cage with screened sides and ceiling for easy climbing. I started to add tons of plants and sticks but out of all the chinese mantises I've kept, I have yet to find one that could give a ###### about all the extras.

Was one of the things I loved when I finally tried a ghost mantis out. Spook was the first mantis to actually explore and enjoy the entire cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is open for people that want to tell about their dream mantid terrariums or ones that they have......mine:

25 gallons

tropical theme with bromeliads and philodendran with other tropical plants...

a small exo terra waterfall...

some drift wood

and a trio of idolos
That "dream" could come true with about £60 haha!

I was imagining a "dream" more on the scale of a garden sized tropical greenhouse with lots of different species in different areas! A bit like tropical world up here in yorkshire, with lots of free ranging bugs and birds etc!

Latest posts