Unicorn mantids - mexicorn, texicorn and arizonae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
Anyone who has kept Unicorns, I would like to learn anything about them. I am interested in their habits, behavior, eating, and other details about them.

Also, does anyone have pics of the Mexicorn and Peruvian Unicorn? I have seen several pics of Texas and Arizonae

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Arkanis,

The Texas Unicorn mantis and Mexican Unicorn mantis are both Phyllovates chlorophaea. In other words, two common names for the same species.

Scott

There may not be records, but I'm very sure that P. arizonae lives on the other side of the border of AZ too, though maybe only within a few hundred miles of the border.

Pretty typical mantis. They are fun. I did have some issues with breeding but that in no way should discourage you.

There are other, related Mexican unicorn mantids such as Phyllovates cornuta P. tripunctata and P. maya but the only species you may find pictures of online is the species from Texas (all stock of that species came from Texas though its natural range includes Central and South America).

The Peruvian relative that's been seen in the hobby isn't called a unicorn since it doesn't have the horn/s. There's a Peruvian pic in here

All of them eat and grow well and are somewhat communal. The only problem is not everyone can get fertile oothecae.

P. cornuta and P. maya were suggested to be just synonyms of P. chlorophaea. However, only the species from Western South America were revised so far, those from the Eastern part and of Central America still await an update.

I just made some pics of Pseudovates arizonae and Pseudovates peruviana :)

Pseudovates arizonae female left and Pseudovates peruviana female on the right

dscf0054lr1.jpg

Pseudovates arizonae female

dscf0060ky6.jpg

dscf0062ks5.jpg

Pseudovates peruviana female

dscf0063qp7.jpg

dscf0070jw9.jpg

Pseudovates arizonae male left and Pseudovates peruviana male on the right

dscf0034of9.jpg

dscf0040wt9.jpg

dscf0049cv4.jpg

dscf0044si3.jpg

I also had some problems with Pseudovates arizonae, 4 females were mated each twice, with 2 different males.

Only one mating was succesfull..

Great pictures and comparison. I must say I'm glad I didn't get the Peruvians when I saw them in Hamm and got some arizonae from you instead. Based on these pics I like their color much better. :D

P. cornuta and P. maya were suggested to be just synonyms of P. chlorophaea.
I had seen that the 'other' Pseudovates from Mexico were thought to just be P. chlorphaea but not the Phyllovates.

Ps. peruviana is a valid species; it was never questioned, although it was considered to be a Vates before the female was described.

Latest posts