Unnecessary Evolution??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOLOLOLOL K, /brainwashed

I am not responding to this anymore. Using jesus as a reference. Didn't realize carpenters are scientists now.

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly my point! why are all the humans in the whole world the same species but creobroter in southern asia are 21 different species?

same with sphodros in africa, and rhombodera in southern asia, stagmomantis in americas, the list goes on...

are insects more subject to mutations and speciation than mammals?
Because "races" of humans can interbreed. If your Creo mantids live in the same locations they cannot interbreed which means they're different species. Some mechanism(s) have evolved to prevent breeding between the species. I don't have any specific knowledge of what mantids you're talking about though, so I cannot speculate as to why they evolved different species in the same location. It may be possible that at one time there was some sort of geographic barrier and populations were cut off and eventually evolved into a different species, but now that barrier is removed.

And please leave the evolution vs creationism out.

It hurts my ears to listen to this.
LOL!! It has struck me as odd that people in the US still do not understand or accept evolution as a fact.

The reality of evolution and the evidence has been verified by nearly every branch of science and has

been tested by scientists around the world for 200 years.

It's as much a fact as gravity, and if you think that's "only a theory", I suggest jumping off a 12 story building

and tell us what happened.

It's obvious that, in all these years, if evidence existed to prove evolution wrong, that scientist would have won the Nobel Prize.

Evolution is a fact, it's reality is only debated amung the novice, with no, or little education in biology and have not studied it for themselves.

Yet many Americans (in particular) still cling to the supernatural in a vain hope of "life everlasting".

I believe they know they are wrong but cant admit it even to themselves.

The vast majority of science around the world rejects creationism.

The Supreme Court has ruled (twice) that it's a religion, and has no scientific basis whatsoever.

read the book Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution enough said!

Not trying to get into a argument or anything just expressing a opinion and meaning no harm!

I find it more interesting that these insects are able to coexist (the ones that are in the exact same habitat). If all that's different are the color patterns, then they would presumably occupy the same niche and come under some intense competition. So rather than what caused speciation, the real question is "how are these guys (with more species and therefore more competition) thriving?"

I find it more interesting that these insects are able to coexist (the ones that are in the exact same habitat). If all that's different are the color patterns, then they would presumably occupy the same niche and come under some intense competition. So rather than what caused speciation, the real question is "how are these guys (with more species and therefore more competition) thriving?"
Basic law of nature is that only one species can occupy the same niche, one either has something that has been over looked eg one sits lower in the forest canopy and another higher up which results in different foods, maybe one eats beetles other eats moths. They might hunt at different times etc etc... I would be extremely surprised if they are in the exact same niche. It is more likely just similar.

If two species occupy the exact same niche eventually one will go extinct or be forced into a new niche. Maybe we are just witnessing the beginning of one of these events. But it is more likely something has been overlooked such as feeding time, or prey is different etc...

Also different colourations can be very beneficial for camouflaging to ambush prey or to avoid predators.

Going to say this again. Leave the evolution vs creationism arguements out or I'm going to lock it.

agentA asked a very good and legitamit scientific question in his OP, and science is were he will find

his answer.

If people would stick with the subject of biology and try to answer the question (like civil adults) threads like this would not

turn ugly.

I agree humans are not a good comparison since we are all one species. Insects outnumber us by a awesome

number and there are so many known species and sub-species it makes my brain hurt to think about it. LOL!!

No comment!
I think you may be getting abiogenisis mixed up with evolution of species, they are 2 completly different

subjects.

Evolution is descent with modification from a common ancestor, and that is ALL it is.

It does not cover how the first cell started and reproduced.

No one has the answer to that question, yet.

But we know it happened, somehow is up to debate, and all the debate is good, if it's from knolegable

scientists.

We know that at one time, there was no life. It had to start somehow, and just because we do not have

the answer doesnt mean we need to conjure up the supernatual to explain it away.

It just means we have more to learn.

The answer to the OP may well be found in the natural evolution of that species.

exactly my point! why are all the humans in the whole world the same species but creobroter in southern asia are 21 different species?

same with sphodros in africa, and rhombodera in southern asia, stagmomantis in americas, the list goes on...

are insects more subject to mutations and speciation than mammals?
Because humans have a very slow generational time, and haven't been separated for much longer than 250,000 years. Even with this few generations, you can still see the differences in hair follicle concentration, skin tone, facial structure, eye color, et cetera.

I don't know how long the species about which you are talking were separated to cause the speciation event, but mantids have a generational gap orders of magnitude shorter than humans. This allows Evolution to work more quickly than in humans.

Bacteria have an incredibly short generation time, so we can witness speciation events very often in the lab.

This is my first post, btw. I hope it was helpful. Evolution is my favorite subject.

alright let me put it this way. Downsyndrome is a mutation, which could be classified as a new species if it reproduced exclusively and all the children had the trait. We tend not to call them a different species because they are basically just people with one random mutation. For insect etc.. they have no feelings so it's alright to distinguish them apart. Hope this helped even though it's probably not politically correct it is scientifically.
This isn't true. As long as they can mate with each other, they are the same species. In fact, that's what a species is defined as.

Oh dear, Y.A. you kicked another hornets nest! Good for you! It looks as though you already have a good handle on what is involved in natural selection. I am half way though an exciting discussion on why it is highly unlikely that the 1800 issue British shako was "cut down" for drummer boys, or that they wore bearskins in the C19th, so I'll devote the time that yr question deserves tomorrow.

Meanwhile, consider this. In the "good old days" folks with a literal belief in the biblical creation myth believed that the sun moved around the earth, and unlike soft hearted Massaman who only seeks to convert us unbelievers with a few well chosen video clips, they killed unbelievers. Serves 'em right, too. :D

Latest posts