UPDATE: Mysterious Mantis Poisoning?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FabioFabiatic

Reaction score
For those who don't know a week or two ago, I gave 2 of my mantises, a giant Asian and an orchid mantis new enclosures. I checked in on them and noticed how both were constantly cleaning themselves and acting irregularly. I took the orchid mantis out and saw this...

2020-06-25.jpg

I quickly removed them from their enclosures and put them in empty deli cups with nothing but a paper towel at the bottom. I tried feeding the honey and much water as I could to clear their systems. Their humidity and temperature stayed the same. I later tried to see if they would eat and neither did. The orchid was hanging from only her two front legs and the giant Asian was hanging and putting his head against the top of the enclosure. They also both cut off most of their antenna. The giant Asian wasn't as affected as the orchid but he still just like her was having some strange neurological issues. I continued with the water and honey until yesterday. Also, I noticed they both made some strange liquidy white poops. 

One week later the Giant Asian is alive and from what I can tell is almost completely recovered. He even ate a fly all by himself!

The orchid is still alive but not doing as well. Two days ago I was able to hand feed her a fly coated in honey. Last night she molted and it was successful, but her petals on her legs are very much disfigured. I don't want to bother her yet and I will try to get pictures tomorrow. When I post those pictures I will also tell you if her behavior is still off.

I really don't know what could have caused this any ideas could help, I have a sneaking suspicion of pesticides though. The only new things in both of the enclosures were Sand Blasted Grapevine (ZooMed) and some coconut fiber for the substrate. I called ZooMed and they said that the grapevine shouldn't have any pesticides or anything else harmful to insects. I really have no idea what could have caused this and I really hope the orchids next molt could fix her disfigured leg petals. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bad Blue bottle flies commonly cause deaths in mantises. I would recommend changing what you are feeding them for a while. also PLEASE people please stop feeding ur mantises honey. It may look like they are enjoying it, but it does absolutely nothing for them, and more harm for the digestive system than good. 

Many of my other mantises have eaten the BBF and their symptoms don't match symptoms of an abdominal infection like barfing. 

Also just wondering if you can provide an example of the harm honey can cause because although I agree to much is, of course, harmful, but I've never found a little raw honey once in a while to be harmful in any way. But I do agree that too many people use honey when there is any little problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad BBFs usually cause vomiting and dark coloring, not usually weird behavior with no vomiting. 

As for honey, I've saved mantids by giving them honey. A lot isn't great, but some honey water for a sick mantis can help a lot. 

- MantisGirl13 

Bad BBFs usually cause vomiting and dark coloring, not usually weird behavior with no vomiting. 

As for honey, I've saved mantids by giving them honey. A lot isn't great, but some honey water for a sick mantis can help a lot. 

- MantisGirl13 
Why do you think its the honey that saved the mantis? 

Why do you think its the honey that saved the mantis? 
Because I didn't give the mantis anything but honey water, and it started improving quickly after I gave it the honey water. Also, it's saved more than one mantis for me, and I know others have had the same experience. 

- MantisGirl13 

Because I didn't give the mantis anything but honey water, and it started improving quickly after I gave it the honey water. Also, it's saved more than one mantis for me, and I know others have had the same experience. 
For the longest time I was very skeptical about honey water because I don't understand how mantids process sugars. That being said, my mantids love the stuff and I feel like if nothing else they get better hydration than fly juice and misting. I've had mantids vomiting and not eating, but after I've given honey water, I notice an increase in energy and appetite. If it's a coincidence, it's a coincidence that has occurred on many occasions. Honey does have some antibacterial properties. Perhaps that combined with the extra hydration helps... I don't know, but when a sick and lethargic mantis with no appetite grabs the cotton swab and sucks it until it dry, then regains strength and appetite it does make me think there may be benefits. If nothing else, they definitely enjoy the treat. So, I'll have to agree with @MantisGirl13.

@FabioFabiatic I'm not doubting your mantis keeping skills by any means, but did you use any type of cleaner on the enclosures or decor  before placing them in? I've purchased man-made branches and vines that had a chemical smell that I couldn't seem to wash off the odor. I always clean new enclosures and decor with hot water only. I know some cleaners leave residue that we can't smell or see. I don't even use spray air freshener in the same room as my mantids or close to the air intake vent of my AC because there are vents that lead to my mantid area. 

@Synapze, all I cleaned the enclosure and other objects with is warm tap water, and then paper towels to dry the enclosure, as I've done countless times before. Although I didn't wash the coco fiber because I just assumed it would be fine. I'm wondering if it's possible that some type of chemical could have been placed on the stick sometime between it being manufactured and me buying it. 

Update:

The Orchid appears to be acting completely normal and even has a huge appetite! Although her leg petals are very deformed. 

2020-07-01.jpg

I just don't know if this can be fixed in the one molt she has left. 

She also still has somewhat shortened antenna and a little eye-rub from the obsessive cleaning, but I think those should be fixable in the next molt right? 

I'm glad she's doing well! Her deformities should be mostly fixed by her next molt. 

- MantisGirl13