UPdate to Fly Trap post!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
Today i found some rotten, maggot riddled dog food and placed it in 2 of the 2 liter soda bottle fly traps i discussed in an earlier post. Damn, that feotid stenchfull slime sure does attract the flies - i fed all of our mantids several of the delectable plump bodied delicacies in short order!

I have never smelled anything quite exactly that foul though, i must say. I almost tossed my cookies a couple of times during the process but it sure was a productive method. In the past i have used paper towels soaked with chicken blood - that method truly sucks. The flies were lining up to get into the traps today which i smeared with the rotten dog food - even a jumping spider showed up to enjoy the matanza!

Today i found some rotten, maggot riddled dog food and placed it in 2 of the 2 liter soda bottle fly traps i discussed in an earlier post. Damn, that feotid stenchfull slime sure does attract the flies - i fed all of our mantids several of the delectable plump bodied delicacies in short order!I have never smelled anything quite exactly that foul though, i must say. I almost tossed my cookies a couple of times during the process but it sure was a productive method. In the past i have used paper towels soaked with chicken blood - that method truly sucks. The flies were lining up to get into the traps today which i smeared with the rotten dog food - even a jumping spider showed up to enjoy the matanza!
Oh, sorry Arkanis, did I forget to mention that rotting dog food* can sometimes cause a slighly unpleasant odor? :D

Good news, though. After a while it starts giving off ammonia, and that really takes the edge off the foetid smell! :p :D

*Before you and I set up our business selling this stuff, we must think of a more attractive description for our culture medium. On top of the new cans of Bush's "Country Style" baked beans, it says "Rich and Thick" (non copyrightable, my lawyers tell me). Wotdjathink?

Oh, sorry Arkanis, did I forget to mention that rotting dog food* can sometimes cause a slighly unpleasant odor? :D Good news, though. After a while it starts giving off ammonia, and that really takes the edge off the foetid smell! :p :D

*Before you and I set up our business selling this stuff, we must think of a more attractive description for our culture medium. On top of the new cans of Bush's "Country Style" baked beans, it says "Rich and Thick" (non copyrightable, my lawyers tell me). Wotdjathink?
:lol:

Latest posts