URGENT Ooth help!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonovanXFrancesca

Reaction score
My Sp. Limbata female, Honey, is currently laying on ooth. The issue is it's in contact with both the stick she's on and a leaf from a fake plant. Is it safe to pull the plant away without damaging the ooth?? I need an answer fast before it dries and is stuck to both objects. 

Let it dry, or you could damage the eggs. It is easy to peel off once it is dry. No need to panic! 😊 
Hey just out of curiosity, is it possible for a female to eat the male before he can properly deliver sperm? I was reading the thread about unfertilized ooths tending to be small and misshapen, and I noticed the ooths laid by my other female, Francesca, were just like that. Coincidentally, she ate her mate. They'd been together at least 12hrs before this though, so I'm not sure if it's possible that true mating never occurred. The one who's currently laying is making very beautiful and large ooths, and I believe she successfully bred with the same male, as they were together for 25 hours and I saw the connection (lol). Do you think the reason Francesca's eggs are odd is because she ate her mate?

Hey, if the mantids in your area are disappearing you could buy or trade for some Chinese mantids from me!
That would definitely be very cool! I've never actually seen a Chinese mantid in my area, or at least never identified one. There's probably some out there, though! I'm not really in the spot for trading at the moment, but maybe in the future? I'd love to branch out and keep more mantis types! 

In terms of the mishappen ooth, I have also had unmates females lay perfectly normal looking ooths that never hatched. Sometimes ooth will just naturally be deformed, especially if they’re laid in awkward positions or if they’re disturbed while laying. I once had a ghost female that had half of her eggs sticking out of her ooth, and she had laid a perfectly normal, long ooth beforehand.