Using potting soil for substrate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalc

Reaction score
Can you use potting soil with no fertilizers as a substrate for mantis tanks? I'm just wondering if it will be good enough to keep in humidity and if it's harmless to mantises.

Chalc    You can use anything you  want as substrate , soil may not be the optimum (a little muddy with moisture) therefore       an coconut husk or paper towel may be more manageable ....  S

Thank you Serle, I'm currently using coconut fibre for substrate now but it can be a bit pricey when it gets to the big bags. Think I will mix the coco fibre with potting soil and see how that works 

I've used potting soil, I've had no problems. I'm currently using sphagnum peat moss, I couldn't find the organic kind but none of my mantids have died, so that's a good sign! I used coco fiber but I didn't like the brown color, I like my enclosures to have that forest smell, plus I like decorating with green foliage, the bugs don't care either way, lol. 

Latest posts