USPS

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geckospot

Reaction score
When you guys ship out your mantis, does USPS ever ask you what you're shipping? What do you say?

When I ship with them I usually use the ship it yourself kiosk in the lobby.

if they ask i tell them it is art supplies. as they are natures art. someone shipped to me and used that description on the package. i liked it, and now use it also.

lol, no I am not joking. A lot of time also, the parcel has not arrived full stop. Hence the reason I have now set up a Fedex account, which was varified today :D

Go Fedex!

Cheers,

Ian

Soem of them have a thing in the lobby where you enter in some info into a computer and put your package on the scale and then pay with a credit/debit card and then it prints your stamp. Then you put it in the bin.

FedEx also stopped shipping live animals! We tried this supplier, too, and this was the answer we got.

Regards,

Christian

Actually, according to the USPS regulations it is allowable to send harmless live invertebrates which would include any native mantids in the states (not HI and possibly not FL) --unless new rules are made. Of course anything with a harmful bite or sting or against local regulations isn't allowed. However, it is a problem to write live on the boxes because USPS goes through other shippers (they don't have their own planes) who can turn down live animals and often do because they don't want the hassle from people trying to ask them for compensation for a DOA.

Sorry, you can send live scorpions but you have to write "live venemous scrorpions" all over the box and double box it and a few other rules you can look up online.

i received a large shipment of live water diving beetles, whirligig beetles, and giant water scavenger beetles about a year ago via USPS, and the box had in large conspicuous letters, "HANDLE WITH CARE - LIVE INSECTS"

unless a new law was created in the last year, i had no problem whatsoever with shipped insects.

p.s. an aquarium of water insects is one of the coolest ever pets you can ever have.

If you got them from the business I think you did, in the last six months that business had to switch to UPS because the USPS started sending back all the express boxes turned down by the carrier (the outside company, often Fedex, not the post office) saying 'couldn't find a plane'.

I have not had any issues with shipping USPS but I use the kiosk to ship packages yourself and it does ask you if it contains live animals or animal parts.

I found that you can legally send insects (within the UK that is) as long as you state they are live food for other reptiles/insects. This is within the royal mail guidelines I believe?

cheerz, Vince

Aparently not Vince. You are only allowed to send insects stated by the Royal Mail terms (bees, mealworms, and a few others. Crickets, locusts, waxworms etc are not listed.) However on the parcelforce website, which they are sent by, you are allowed to send insects which can be used as pest control. The praying mantis comes under this category, I believe.

Use the word perishable... it achieves the same thing and people tend to associate it with food/ fruit. I think just as long as they don't know what's in the box and can see that the box is secure, they don't seem to mind.

I get mine dropped off in an insulated box outside my house- the post office knows I bring in live bugs so they actively try to dump it when they come round to my house just so they don't have to put up with the chirping back at the office :)

You do get batter service- the worse they think the bug is, the quicker they come round to get rid of it :D

Latest posts