Velvet Worms - Peripatus (photos & video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Music by Precarious

Peripatoides novaezelandiae

Unchanged for 570 million years, Peripatus share traits with annelids (segmented worms) and arthropods (insects, crustaceans, arachnids) yet appear much like a caterpillar. Eggs hatch inside the female and she then gives birth to the live young. Peripatoides novaezelandiae have 15 pairs of legs and grow up to 80mm (3.15").

From Wikipedia:

Peripatus feeds by trapping its prey (mostly small insects) in a white, sticky fluid it ejects from two antennae near its head. The fluid hardens on contact with the air immoblizing the prey. Peripatus then chews a hole in its prey's exoskeleton with its mandibles (which move independently of each other), injects digestive enzymes, and begins sucking out its prey's pre-digested innards.

Velvet_5692-sm.jpg

Velvet_5687-sm.jpg

Velvet_5681-sm.jpg

Velvet_5695-sm.jpg

Here you can see the simple eye located at the base of the antennae with the spout that shoots slime just behind.

Velvet_5694-sm.jpg

You can see the claws that come into use when necessary.

Velvet_5699-sm.jpg

Velvet_5700-sm.jpg

This close-up of the bottom of a pair of peripatus legs shows the spiny pads which they use for walking. The clawed feet are used only when they need extra grip.

p13260pc.jpg

Locomotion is essentially annelid-like, with the body cavity functioning as a hydrostatic skeleton. The parapodia-like legs are also filled with blood and a valve at the base keeps them firm and muscular coordination can extend them or retract them and make them move forward or make them move backward.

Each of the legs bears a pair of chitinous claws for gripping, although on smooth substrate they walk on walking pads.

Peripatus have a highly sensitive body to locate prey. Their skin is covered in tiny bumps, many of which have fine, sensory bristles. Their antennae have chemically responsive tips, which detect whether something is likely to be food. Glands (blue) produce slime, which is shot out of the head to trap prey. Their gut (green) can digest liquids and solids. A tubular heart (purple) extends almost the entire length of the body.

di13259enz.jpg

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/peripatus

http://www.peripatus...nychophora.html

Awesome video and music (per usual!)

I'm disappointed you left out the best quote from that Wikipedia article:

As previously mentioned, males of many Australian species exhibit special structures on the head, which apparently take over certain tasks in transferring sperm to the females. In the species Euperipatoides rowelli, sperm is collected by these structures, and, when a female is encountered, the worm inserts its head in the vagina.

I'm disappointed you left out the best quote from that Wikipedia article:

As previously mentioned, males of many Australian species exhibit special structures on the head, which apparently take over certain tasks in transferring sperm to the females. In the species Euperipatoides rowelli, sperm is collected by these structures, and, when a female is encountered, the worm inserts its head in the vagina.
Why? What's interesting about that? Isn't that how everybody does it??? :huh:

Where did you get these guys? These are the New Zealand variety right? I'm trying to find the tropical South American species myself...

Best video and photos I've ever seen of the animals and they've been in the hobby off and on for over ten years! Your videos are really great and I love the bonus info. you compiled here too. What I really want to see now is a video shot of the animals capturing prey!

Very cool! They look so different from everything that can be found living on land. :alien: I can't wait to see some prey squirting action!

Best video and photos I've ever seen of the animals and they've been in the hobby off and on for over ten years! Your videos are really great and I love the bonus info. you compiled here too. What I really want to see now is a video shot of the animals capturing prey!
Wow, thanks. I did all of this within the first few hours of receiving them. Maybe I'm a little obsessive? :blush:

I plan on studying their behavior so I can devise a means of catching the hunt on video. It will be a challenge for sure because when they are active they move continually.

Even if I do capture the moment I sincerely doubt my footage will compare with these clips...

By the way, all my friends are reporting they can't view my posts unless they become a member of the forum. Didn't used to be the case. Before you only had to be logged in to view the sale ads. I'd occasionally send family and friends here to see my photos and videos. I'm just wondering if that is a purposeful change or just something that happened in the shuffle of switching hosts? It was being able to read through the posts that actually lured me into becoming a member, but I understand if it's a strategy to reduce bandwidth usage.

Looks like I may have babies already. Really hard to tell but there are very tiny worms in the container. Only time will tell for sure if they are babies.

This sprawling landscape is my finger tip!

Velvetbaby_5885-sm.jpg

Velvetbaby_5889-sm.jpg

Very interesting new photos! I'll check into the guest settings again.

Did you do a, er, headcount on maggoty white potential offspring?

That's your finger? Looks like a fillet of ahi! (Wait, nothing about this thread should be appetizing.)

Very interesting new photos! I'll check into the guest settings again.
Sweet, I'd appreciate that.

Did you do a, er, headcount on maggoty white potential offspring?

That's your finger? Looks like a fillet of ahi! (Wait, nothing about this thread should be appetizing.)
Yum... ahi... :p

Well, since I'd heard that adults sometimes eat the young I decided to separate them. Impossible to know exactly how many are/were in there since it's filled with leafy moss, I'd guess around 15 to 20. While collecting them I noticed some are a little bigger than others so they may be from more than one brood. I also noticed some have food in their bellies. Probably carrion scavenged from what was left of the adults' prey and the remains of fly pupae cases, because that's where I found them swarming.

I put them in their own deli cup with springtails in case they want to do some hunting.

At this point I don't know if they are babies or just some random larva that came mixed with the moss. Up close they look a lot like tiny maggots, no antennae or discernible feet. For all I know they are bot fly larva! :unsure:

Take a look...

They're so tiny they're clear. You can see their guts! (No Photoshop tricks this time.)

Velvetbabies_5898-sm.jpg

Velvetbabies_5899-sm.jpg

The black parts are the mandibles...

Velvetbabies_5895-sm.jpg

Can't help but notice the larvae in your video are writhing across the pupa of something dipteran. Coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator: