Vertebrates? Exploring my next obsession...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really comes down to how long of a 'commitment' is too long for you. Leopard geckos are cut and easy but can live up to 15-20yrs if properly cared for. There are a number of gorgeous snakes, but again we're talking a pretty decent life span of over a decade in many cases. Anoles are inexpensive, diurnal, and fairly short-lived ... believe 3-5 yrs. Hamsters are cute, short lived but nippy @%*%^* and should be kept alone. Mice are short lived as well.

Yeah. VERY short, is ideal. Less than a year. If I find something I REALLY want to explore, I'll look for a rescue animal (more mature) to cut down my time commitment. I take a lot of trips, so developing systems to allow a sitter to handle them while I'm away is critical.

My next pets need to be either:

-Alligator Snapping Turtle

-Ceratomantis saussuri

-Miniture Daschshound

Yes yes, ones a Mantis and ones a dog but its what im looking at next lol

Firebellies can go like 2 months without food and r low maintinence especially when in a setup that isn't aquatic

Squirrel treefrogs live short lives and r so cute, often sold as green treefrogs but half the size

Yeah. VERY short, is ideal. Less than a year. If I find something I REALLY want to explore, I'll look for a rescue animal (more mature) to cut down my time commitment. I take a lot of trips, so developing systems to allow a sitter to handle them while I'm away is critical.
At first I was going to recommend Crested Geckos, but I figured you might get bored of their looks. They could be fed Repashy Crested Gecko Diet their entire lives. Makes feeding much easier for your petsitters who may be skittish against live foods. It's much more fun to feed them live foods as well, so you could mix it up. Because there are different color morphs, you could pick one up for as little as $20, but could pay as much as $350+ for one. If you pick up a baby, you could breed it by the next year. Eggs will take about 2-3 months incubation time. Full circle in a little over a year.